Just bought my first wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to the addiction. At least, if you're like most of us here, it will seem like one. Once you do get your certification, dive as often as you can. That way, you'll improve and maintain your skills and you'll enjoy diving all the more for it.

YAY! You are in for a beautiful life changing experience. Take your time, learn well and dive often and
Dive safe!!

I was introduced to the world of snorkeling last September and I was convinced that I have missed out on a lifetime of scuba diving. It was the best experience ever! So, I'm signed up for PADI classes and just bought my wetsuit yesterday. Here to learn!!
Welcome to the Board. I got certified at age 51 after a lifetime of snorkeling. Figured I was nowhere near the ocean and didn't like the idea of being a "vacation" diver (though I didn't know that's what it's called.....). In moving to the East Coast I figured it was time to try it and get thorough instruction so I felt confident enough to do it. Years later, I found it puzzling to see the odd student in class who had very little "water" experience. We were on a cruise in 1999 and there was what must've been a Discover Scuba "course" in the pool on deck (if they called it that back then). After being explained the short amount of instruction--"Then they take you down in the ocean"--I passed and did the snorkel tour. Good advice to dive as regularly as you can.

Welcome and enjoy your first dives.

I always tell new divers, once you get everything squared away, every now and then, look up. In proper diving trim, you can miss whats above you, and there might be some cool pelagic creature there - seals & sea lions, mola molas (up here in Monterey at least), the occasional dive bombing cormorant, and if you're really lucky dolphins and/or the landlord. Plus, the kelp forest looks beautiful from below.

@DiverAnne

Welcome!

You have a new wet suit-Great! - It is tight and needs to be for proper insulation- the next suit you purchase will be even tighter and the third will be very tight fitting-- prohibits water migration and provides the best insulation.

I would suggest that you plan on attending the SCUBA SHOW in Long Beach in June - One of the oldest and largest SCUBA shows-- visit the booths and attend some of the seminars-- I will be a presenter

I assume that you will be trained by the dive shop on the Belmont pier.(give my regards to Jessie ) It is one of earliest established dive shops - one of the oldest in California therefore one of the oldest shops the US.

It was established on second street in Naples by the late Bill Hogan in the early 1950s- I helped Bill move to the present location about the time you entered the world and took your first breath of fresh air.

Hogan was quite a divers diver ! Ex Navy diver, pioneer LA Co UW instructor and a student of Shakespeare.
What a guy !

FYI a post I made about Bill and Walter Hussong of Ensenada, Baja, Mexico, Hussong bar fame
I wrote this article so many years ago that I had forgotten about it... until today..

May or may not be interesting....It is an event that occurred prior to NAUI, PADI, DIR and the rest of the alphabet...even before SCUBA was in common usage..but it had it's origin in Long Beach at the shop where you will be trained .
(The article has been edited for space considerations)

LONG BEACH,HUSSONGS & COLUMBIA TREASURE

It no secret to most "vintage" divers that the popular Baja bar Hussong's was once a divers hang out. In the 1950 & the early 1960s it was a place that was "Muy Tranquillo." The music was Strauss Viennese walzes played by a group of locals in the corner. The Maggies were huge, served with a glass and the container they were mixed in (at least to the divers) -a few sips and the Cantina was transformed into another time and another place.

The owners's son Walter Hussong, was a very knowledgeable experienced pioneer diver and a darn good one. It was only natural that divers of the 1950s and early 1960s would check in on the way south to check on conditions or on the way back to the states to report on the diving.

Bill Hogan who owned the Underwater Sports shop (now located at the base of the Belmont pier) in Long Beach, California, teamed up with Walter Hussong in 1956 to salvage what silver remained in the ship "Columbia" which was in 200 plus feet of water in or near the La Paz harbor. (To place this in perspective self contained (aka SCUBA) diving was only five (5) years old in the US, equipment was rudimentary, crude and dangerous to use and unheard of in most of Mexico; there was only one certification agency LA County, wet suits were only a few years old, floation and gauges were unknown, so it was truly pioneer diving

Bill and Walter dove on the Columbia every day for a month returning to the US with nothing but the ships bell which Bill located 50 feet from the wreck. They "did not find the silver" = and "were poverty stricken."

HOWEVER, There is an epilog to this tale..

With in a year of returning Bill managed to purchase two large lots at the base of the Belmont pier in Long Beach and establish a huge dive operation including one of the first training pools. He then divorced his wife, concurrently losing the dive operation in the process.

Next he established a "Divers Bar" called "Hogans" which he gave away more than he sold, In the early 1960s he packed up and moved to Costa Rica where he remarried, raised a daughter and lived the life of a gentleman famer for most of the remainder of his years, departing to the big reef in the sky a number of years ago--But--- He "never found the treasure of the Columbia."

Walter was living the good life in Ensenada. He was always at the bar always available to drop every thing if he recognized you to "talk diving."

However, the good life caused his demise -He established a Hussongs bar on the mainland and the husband of his "Girl friend" shot him -but Walter to his last breathe also maintained -- "never found the treasure of the Columbia."

It all happened a long, long time ago....to a bunch of "lousy divers" as we referred to our selves at that time...My how things have changed..

Good Luck, enjoy your new and exciting underwater adventures

Sam Miller, III

Welcome to the world of scuba!
Dive safe!

Welcome

Congrats on a new habit that is as addictive as Crack and more addictive!

Just don't pee in it! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom