Just bought a Hero3....questions on accessories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do have another question - are the anti fog inserts necessary?

Also, I thought I had read somewhere that the backpack doesn't work with the scuba housing...that's not true?

If you order the backpack it comes with a larger underwater backplate to adjust for the larger size. Anti fog inserts are a must for me (diving Cozumel with high humid and 78 degree water temp). I shoot with an extendable pole from Maco and love it. I am able to extend to pole to get better shots of shy creatures.

May I ask, if we use the battery bacpac while shooting on dives, how do we get a good centralized focus of the subject without LCD screen, for photos especially?

A lot of guess work and luck! :D

Some people will use the tray handles to figure out what's in frame. Given that the field of view is very wide and you won't be doing a lot of "close ups", it's not a hard task in the end - pretty much everything that is in front of you will be in the picture, centered or not.

I do have another question - are the anti fog inserts necessary?

Also, I thought I had read somewhere that the backpack doesn't work with the scuba housing...that's not true?

If you are referring to the LCD backpack, the new touch sensitive LCD is only rated to 3 meters (about 9 feet). You would have to use the hard backdoor for diving.

The HERO3 still fogs, like it's predecessors. The fog patter is a little different, it seems to creep from the sides of the lens rather than start in the center. Here are some that have been recommended here before and are cheaper than GoPro's: http://eelvision.com/our-products/fogfree/

May I ask, if we use the battery bacpac while shooting on dives, how do we get a good centralized focus of the subject without LCD screen, for photos especially?

1. You get a sense of the minimum focal distance and field of view. Some of your shots will be too cropped or wide, but the lack of LCD hasn't really burned me yet.

2. It's MUCH easier to deal with if you shoot in wide/ultrawide mode. Wide pretty much captures everything as long as you point the camera in the right general direction. Your focus should really be on keeping the camera steady and still while pointed at the subject.

A lot of guess work and luck! :D

Some people will use the tray handles to figure out what's in frame. Given that the field of view is very wide and you won't be doing a lot of "close ups", it's not a hard task in the end - pretty much everything that is in front of you will be in the picture, centered or not.

If you are referring to the LCD backpack, the new touch sensitive LCD is only rated to 3 meters (about 9 feet). You would have to use the hard backdoor for diving.

The HERO3 still fogs, like it's predecessors. The fog patter is a little different, it seems to creep from the sides of the lens rather than start in the center. Here are some that have been recommended here before and are cheaper than GoPro's: FogFree Anti-Fog Inserts | EelVision

Correct.....the LCD backpack is not rated for diving. The battery backpack ( which I recommend if you are doing more than 45 minutes of shooting) is rated for diving with the included larger underwater back plate.

The older LCD's work great with the Hero3.

Just received my LCD bacpac there are some worries:

I have the battery fully charged for 5 hours (if it's sufficient?) but the camera's so heated up. Is this normal?

1. After fiddling with it for less than an hour, the function keys stop working ... battery's dying. Disappointed.

2. My laptop does not recognize a new device (Hero3). Do I need to download the app? Gopro website is down.

3. 3 back doors - touch, standard & skeleton. Is the standard back door waterproof?

Sorry, too many questions from this GP newbie.

Last edited:
Still waiting for my H3 + LCD to arrive (any day now..) but can answer this much.

The skeleton door is obviously not waterproof. The touch door is waterproof on the surface down to a couple of metres max. Use the std door for diving.

I wouldn't expect much more than an hour runtime from any Gopro with an LCD running the whole time.

Can't answer the laptop query - should recognise as a storage device (hdd) as soon as connected though.

The cameras get hot acting as a charger. I had a battery backpac to charge my Hero2 batteries separately. I bought an external charger and 2 wasabi batteries for my H3 to do the same thing.

I bought the wasabi charger and 2 battery combo for about $30 shipped... I do not charge my batteries in the camera either... I charge the "stock" gopro battery in the wasabi charger also..

Did you do an update via the GoPro website? The instructions on their site are easy to follow... I just received my new Hero3 yesterday, updated it and setup the wifi with no problems..Others have reported problems after updating, I did not have this experience...

Thanks for all your advice.

Maybe the problem cos I haven't do the update. Hope GP website will be accessible soon.

---------- Post added February 2nd, 2013 at 11:11 PM ----------

Thanks for all your advice.

Maybe the problem cos I haven't do the update. Hope GP website will be accessible soon.
Software updated. Should be ok now.

Don't have the 3, but the LCD is too small and sucks up too much battery power. You will end up turning it on and off a lot. There were also a few 2nd dives where I had to lug around a useless rig with no power!

As for the spare battery, never used them. It took a steak knife for me to get the battery out of the GoPro so how does one do that on a dive boat. Not to mention the defogger strip will be done and there is a very high chance of getting water in he housing. So you'll get fog.

When I upgrade to the 3 or 4 I'll take the extra battery power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom