Just bought a GoPro 3 Black - Advice on lighting set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmasters34

Registered
Reaction score
Hello fellow divers

I just purchased a Hero 3 Black edition and have used it a lot for above water footage, however I haven't taken it underwater yet.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what basic lighting gear I would require to get half decent footage? I am looking for something fairly basic/minimalistic, as my budget it relatively restrictive. So what basics would I need to take some good video? I have an upcoming trip to St. Thomas as well as Turks and Caicos, so I will be doing most of my diving in open, tropical water.

Any advice is appreciate. I'm quite new at all of this!

grins, welcome aboard, but double grins, first time I read your Avatar name/handle, I saw HAMPSTER and had to laugh.

Yes the search feature is your friend, the rest are your lighting expectations and VISA card pain tolerance. But IMHO, it's hard to beat the SOLA lighting platform for top notch performance do it once do it right for stunning bright wide-broad angle soft edge beam, in a sweet small sexyyy package.

Buy two smaller SOLAs instead of one Big SOLA for no shadows.

How restrictive is the budget? You dot have to spend the thousands some have, myself included. What I would recommend is looking through the classifieds right here. I have seen MANY great deals on video lighting on here. I have even bought some myself. I wish I could buy more, but I have others needs too.

Like someone mentioned, the Light & Motion SOLA lights are great. If you can find a pair of used ones, pick them up other options are some of the less expensive Intova video lights. I have seen some that impressed me.

Main thing is look for good even lighting, no hotspots, and a nice wide beam.

I was hoping to spend around $800, so it is looking like I may have to wait around until I can get the entire set up I am looking for. I agree with RockyHeap in that I want to do it once and do it right. If I were to buy two lights, what is the minimum suggested lumens per light, given that most of the diving I do is open clear water? I was looking at getting two Sola 500 lights. Would this suffice?

And would everyone recommend using a filter in addition to the lights? (I may have to settle for just the filter before my next trip). Sorry for such beginner questions guys!

No problem with the questions! That is what the forum is for!

Filters will suffice and give you good results standalone depending on water quality.

Twin SOLA 500's will also be a better option then 1 SOLA 1200. IMO. I think you will be just fine with that setup. I am sure if you keep your eyes open, you will be able to find some come up for sale under that price point.

Thanks I think I will probably end up going with that option.

Any advice on using lights with filters? When to use filter only, when to use lights only. When to use both?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom