Just bought 2 used luxfer 80cf aluminum. Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
They are current on hydrostatic test but overdue on visual. They both have a pressure of 1400psi. When I go to get a visual insp do they purge all the air air that’s in there out or do they just top it off? I’m just a little cautious that the seller could’ve filled them with 100% argon or tony danzas breath. Family guy scuba reference below.

Tanks have to be emptied for inspection.

They have to look inside for a VIP.

Usually a VIP comes with an air fill.

If they were full, I'd wait till I emptied them, but since they are not just dump and refill after the viz. I usually look inside a tank before I buy one so its never an issue right after purchase.

Bob

since you just bought them i would also ask for a valve rebuild. if you ever plan on having them o2 cleaned for nitrox then valve rebuild and de-greasing for sure.

since you just bought them i would also ask for a valve rebuild. if you ever plan on having them o2 cleaned for nitrox then valve rebuild and de-greasing for sure.

Sounds like an easy diy. I’ve cleaned and installed aircraft o2 lines at my job before. Probably don’t need hydrofluro-olefin cleaner or christolube unless I’m going for nitrox conversion, which is useless because I don’t have the cert for nitrox use yet.

Sounds like an easy diy.
absolutely. in all honesty i do all my vip+rebuilds myself. whenever you want to go down the o2 road, just get a copy of the oxygen hacker's handbook from vance harlow :)

This is a good time to point out that even if you aren't planned to use nitrox, you should still own and use an analyzer, or use the shop analyzer.

Not just for nitrogen vs. oxygen, but also for carbon monoxide.

If the shop you get fills at doesn't have an o2 and co analyzer for you to use, then run, not walk, away from that shop! Every shop should be overjoyed that you are asking for a way to confirm they have filled your tanks with the proper quality of breathing gas.

Reactions: dsp
absolutely. in all honesty i do all my vip+rebuilds myself. whenever you want to go down the o2 road, just get a copy of the oxygen hacker's handbook from vance harlow :)

Wouldn’t a fill shop be sketched out by a generic vip sticker that doesn’t have a reputable shops logo on it?

Wouldn’t a fill shop be sketched out by a generic vip sticker that doesn’t have a reputable shops logo on it?
nope if you're vip trained and use stickers from your (reputable) training agency :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom