Just back from Oahu, Big Island, Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caymaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Had a great time but something bad happened...I caught a cold and couldn't dive the second week we were in Maui. We had a great time with the night Manta dive as 13 Mantas were at the airport site off the B.I. some credit goes to Big Island divers for a good time. The volcano was very cool especially where the lava was rolling into the ocean on the end of highway130.
Did a 3 tank dive with Ed Robinson. The first dive was "reefs end" which was a good dive, max 100 ft. with 100 ft. viz. The second dive was "pinnacle point" and the third site was the "landing craft". At the second site there was a Manta, an eagle ray and three white tips. The third site was quite barren but the whales were really singing.

Sorry you caught a cold, but you did get 1 good week of diving in. You sure couldn't have had as much fun back home cold or no cold.
Any tips for dive ops on Maui or Oahu. I will be headed the Hawaii in July, and can't wait.

Thanks, Jim breslin

Sorry you caught a cold, but you did get 1 good week of diving in. You sure couldn't have had as much fun back home cold or no cold.
Any tips for dive ops on Maui or Oahu. I will be headed the Hawaii in July, and can't wait.

Thanks, Jim breslin

Hey Jim, I was in Maui 5 years ago in July and it is a nice time of year to visit. We were able to dive with the Mantas on the B.I. and at Molokini before the cold got me. I used Ed Robinson for diving and would go with them again, 5 years ago I used Lahaina Divers and would still hesitate to do so if you are an experienced diver. I did however have Lahaina Divers scheduled for a trip to Lanai to dive the cathedrals but it didn't happen with the cold.
Since I couldn't dive, I rented a Harley one day for touring around Maui, we took the road around the west side of the Island and then towards Hana, we had some beautiful views.
We stayed at Kaanapali and enjoyed the beach tremendously
Image182.jpg

Image446.jpg

Image164-1.jpg

Great pics !!!
My family and I can't wait to go.
I have high hopes of getting in 4 days of diving while on vacation.
Thanks, Jim

Sorry to read about your cold, but glad you were able to have a good time anyway :D

Hey Jim, I was in Maui 5 years ago in July and it is a nice time of year to visit. We were able to dive with the Mantas on the B.I. and at Molokini before the cold got me. I used Ed Robinson for diving and would go with them again, 5 years ago I used Lahaina Divers and would still hesitate to do so if you are an experienced diver. I did however have Lahaina Divers scheduled for a trip to Lanai to dive the cathedrals but it didn't happen with the cold.
Since I couldn't dive, I rented a Harley one day for touring around Maui, we took the road around the west side of the Island and then towards Hana, we had some beautiful views.
We stayed at Kaanapali and enjoyed the beach tremendously

Wonderful photo's - I'll be on the BI in 2 weeks and I can't WAIT!

sucks that you got sick but at least you got to dive with mantas!!!! The volcano trip must have been awesome, too. When we were there 2 yrs ago there wasn't any "red" lava, just vog.

At times there was plenty of Vog, but to see part of the earth forming is an awesome sight.
Image136.jpg

Back
Top Bottom