Just back from first Bonaire trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickSp

Reaction score
Bonaire bills itself as the "Diver's Paradise". They are in absolutely no danger of being sued for false advertising. A wonderful, wonderful island.

We were down for eight days. We stayed at the Sand Dollar and dove with Bonaire Dive and Adventure. We had a spacious and very comfortable two bedroom condominium with a full, well equipped kitchen, two baths, and a large balcony/porch overlooking the water. It was perfect for my wife, two boys and I. The only criticism I might make of Sand Dollar is that the landscaping is less lush than neighboring Buddy Dive, which in the grand scheme of things is a quibble. Overall I recommend Sand Dollar particularly for families.

Through Sand Dollar we arranged a package with neighboring Bonaire Dive and Adventure. My 12 year old son and I finished our check-out dives for certification and then dove the rest of the week. My eight year old snorkeled with my wife and I and took the PADI "Bubblemaker" course where he dove with full gear under supervision to no more than 6' feet. He also spent two days in the "Ocean Academy" where he snorkeld with a naturalist and swam in a cave. If we had know how good, interesting and fun the "Ocean Academy" was we would have put him in it for the entire trip. He had a great time.

All the staff at Bonaire Dive was great, knowledgeable and friendly. The facilities are new and well laid out and immediately next door to Sand Dollar.

The number of fantastic dive sites available either as shore or boat dives on Bonaire is boggling. Bari Reef right off the Bonaire Dive dock has an amazing range of fish, eels and coral. We also saw a hawksbill turtle just off Bari Reef. We dove roughly a dozen sites between us, all wonderful and varied, which I suppose leaves only a hundred or so left to explore.

The only downside I can think of with Bonaire is that it reminds me why I stopped diving thirty years ago. After diving on coral reefs in Florida I moved north to darker and colder waters. Diving Bonaire's incredible reefs could certainly diminish almost any local diving by comparison.

I have posted a few photos in my gallery and have a few short video clips here:Bonaire Dive video

Rick

Rick I hate to tell you this but there is also one other big problem with going to Bonaire and I am sorry to have to inform you but you are now infected with an incureable disease know as Post Bonaire Depression - aka PBD. There is no know cure. The only know way to relieve the symptoms is to watch the web cam at Bongos, look at your photos and talk with travel agents. I find taking an Amstel with the pictures also helps. Return trips eliminate the sysmptoms while on island but actually cause them to increase when you depart.
You are invited to join our support group, both here and on Bonaire Talk. :)
Bon Dia

herman:
Rick I hate to tell you this but there is also one other big problem with going to Bonaire and I am sorry to have to inform you but you are now infected with an incureable disease know as Post Bonaire Depression - aka PBD. There is no know cure. The only know way to relieve the symptoms is to watch the web cam at Bongos, look at your photos and talk with travel agents. I find taking an Amstel with the pictures also helps. Return trips eliminate the sysmptoms while on island but actually cause them to increase when you depart.
You are invited to join our support group, both here and on Bonaire Talk. :)
Bon Dia

It is no doubt another form of decompression sickness - returning from blue skies and clear water to a rainy bleary Northest. I've found that the bottle of 12 year old Monte Cristo rum that I picked up in Montego Bay during the several hour Air Jamaica delay has had some modest medical value in treating at least the symptoms of the sickness.

Very cool videos Puts you back in the dive site in the equipment. makes me want to go back, we were there the last week of Feb, and i dont know if i can wait a year to go back. Herman is right about PBD i have it now.

Nice Videos Rick....^%#@! PBD flairing up, got any of that rum left?

Herman,

As two experienced Bonaire divers, we should get a trip lined up sometime...

My buddy and I are shore diving nuts...our next Bonairian trip, will consist of diving from Red Slave all the way north to the Lake....we just love the south part of the island. In fact, I am seeing the Cargill sign right now...along with the coral rubble...I'm parking the car and gearing up at waters edge....water is calm as usual...

:sigh: back to work....

I would love to. I have been seriously thinking about trying to put together a Scuba Board Bonaire .....meeting. I hesitate to call it a trip because what I have in mind is to set the date, post it and see who wants to show up on the island at the same time. Air/rooms/diving would be up to each person. Maybe next Feb?

if we werent planning hawaii for then i would be in so if something changes then we might meet you there

RickSp:
It is no doubt another form of decompression sickness - returning from blue skies and clear water to a rainy bleary Northest. I've found that the bottle of 12 year old Monte Cristo rum that I picked up in Montego Bay during the several hour Air Jamaica delay has had some modest medical value in treating at least the symptoms of the sickness.

Sorry to hear Air Jam is still putting out the same consistent service. Jimmy Buffett probably put his restaurant there based on maximum residence time of passengers! :dazzler1:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom