Just Back from Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wear a full wet suit.. My shorty allowed for some nasty stings. Great Scuba though..

You can also avoid nasty stings by avoiding contact with the reef and stuff that stings. I prefer the freedom and comfort of a T-shirt and swim suit when the water is warm enough. I don't have any problem with stinging things.

I made 13 dives early this month and had no problems with stings or abrasions wearing a 3/2 shortie. Did get some sunburn on the top of my head.

Any idea what the water temp was Steven? I'm going to be in Cancun in 5 days.

The lowest water temp we saw in Cozumel two weeks ago was 81F. My son and daughter-in-law dove in bathing suits and dive skin tops; I wore a 3/2 shortie.

I did not see anyone wearing much in the way of thermal protection. Just depends on your tolerance for cold.

Any idea what the water temp was Steven? I'm going to be in Cancun in 5 days.
Temps at 80 feet remained 79 F

---------- Post added April 21st, 2013 at 10:41 AM ----------

I never touch anything. I do tend to swim close the the bottom to get the best photographic shots sometimes. I think my stings, still visible after 8 days, were from some kind of jellyfish I could not see.

---------- Post added April 21st, 2013 at 10:43 AM ----------

You can also avoid nasty stings by avoiding contact with the reef and stuff that stings. I prefer the freedom and comfort of a T-shirt and swim suit when the water is warm enough. I don't have any problem with stinging things.
I never touch anything. I do tend to swim close the the bottom to get the best photographic shots sometimes. I think my stings, still visible after 8 days, were from some kind of jellyfish I could not see.

---------- Post added April 21st, 2013 at 10:45 AM ----------

The lowest water temp we saw in Cozumel two weeks ago was 81F. My son and daughter-in-law dove in bathing suits and dive skin tops; I wore a 3/2 shortie.

I did not see anyone wearing much in the way of thermal protection. Just depends on your tolerance for cold.
I was the only diver in a shorty.. All other divers were in full wet suites.. We were all 55+ divers so perhaps we feel the cold more.

Thanks Rod, lets get together at Dutch soon. PM me

Herb
You up for cold water diving again? Probably going to Dutch this comimg Sunday. I'd like to go for the Easter Egg Hunt, but I have to work on Saturday. I was even going to borrow my sister's White Rabbit Costume!

Temps at 80 feet remained 79 F

---------- Post added April 21st, 2013 at 10:41 AM ----------

---------- Post added April 21st, 2013 at 10:43 AM ----------

---------- Post added April 21st, 2013 at 10:45 AM ----------

I was the only diver in a shorty.. All other divers were in full wet suites.. We were all 55+ divers so perhaps we feel the cold more.

My wife and I dove Laughing Bird Caye and Gladden Spit in Belize last year. I did all my dives (Reef and Opnwater Whale Shark) wearing a Henderson Lycra diveskin. Very comfortable, lightweight, and offers a sufficient layer of protection. I also wear it for my local diving at Dutch Springs. Makes putting on and taking off my 7mm wetsuit much easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom