Just back from an awesome trip to Dominica!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlevenson

Registered
Reaction score
Having just returned from my first trip to Dominica I thought I would let fellow divers know how it went. Thanks to everyone who replied to my queries prior to my trip, it was a great help in planning.

I’ve been on a number of dive trips throughout the Caribbean and Central America over the years and my recent stay with the folks at Dive Dominica and the Castle Comfort Dive Lodge really surpassed any resort or liveaboard I’ve visited anywhere. The owners, Derek and Ginette Perryman, really go out of their way to ensure that everyone has a terrific time and every little creature comfort is taken care of. The staff are friendly and bend over backwards with even the most demanding requests. Those of you that are underwater photographers know that we don’t just go on vacations, rather we go on expeditions and on this trip I brought along more gear as I had high hopes to come home with good images. For photographers Dive Dominica is fantastic. The staff went out of their way to make sure that I had the chance to set up the unique shots. It was never your typical underwater guided tour but rather they had a divemaster lead the dive and at least one divemaster or rescue diver in the water to buddy up with guys like me that want to take their time. I’m not about to have my pictures in National Geographic anytime soon but I like to always challenge myself to improve my photography under the sea and these guys really helped with some of my unique requests. For example, I wanted to tag along with a fishermen and see how locals use the coast so I could put together some images that make a story, I wanted something more that just nice pictures of fish. When I asked I thought I’d get laughed at but instead their reaction was always ‘No problem, let me call a friend.’ Next thing I knew I was diving and meeting people off the beaten path. A very cool opportunity for someone like me that’s tired of the same old dive vacations. Anyway, Brad, Brentton, Thomas and the other dive staff really run a professional show like nothing I’ve seen. They’re always looking out for you but never get in your way like some places. (Make sure to ask Brad to point out the Juvenile Smooth Trunkfish at Scott’s head drop off.)

They have multiple boats so that when the occasional cruise ship makes port you’re not crammed on an overcrowded boat with cruise ship passengers. They just put folks on second and even a third boat. Unlike lots of places that seem to have staffs that are kids taking a year off from their schooling, Dive Dominica’s staff was always consummate professionals.

It’s also a terrific place for non-divers as the reef just off their dock starts in just a few feet of water. My favorite thing was the shore dive, some days I would wake up at 6:30 just to get in the water on a calm peaceful morning. Shore dive is great with a small hawksbill sea turtle that frequents this spot just behind the hotel.

set-72157618936814622

Ok, now the non-diving stuff: The non-diving activities were great as well. Over my two weeks I got to see the sights and take in some of the breathtaking hikes that are everywhere in Dominica. Food is terrific but as I was there for two weeks I also wanted to go out for a little diversity. No problem, they were always happy to recommend a good spot and there is a lot of great eating establishments around Dominica. Pearls, I think it’s on St Georges St, is a great spot for lunch. The Fort Young is nice too albeit a tad pricy. Most of the food, tours, busses, and other stuff around the island is very reasonably priced.

Diving, whale watching, or just sitting by the beach is all-outstanding and I highly recommend a visit to the Castle Comfort Lodge and the crew at Dive Dominica. I’ve already started planning my return trip! Feel free to shoot me any questions.

More pictures below...

set-72157618936814622

set-72157618936814622

set-72157618936814622

set-72157618936814622

set-72157618936814622

Really nice photos! We just came back two weeks ago, stayed next door at the Evergreen but used the bar at Castle Comfort. I hestitate to tell people what a great place Dominica is, don't want too many people going and ruining it!

Thanks for the trip report. Dominica is definitely on the short list. How was the travel to get there?

Thanks for the report---we're heading to Castle Comfort in about 2 weeks as part of a group of 22-think will will have 11 of the 15 rooms...Have some questions to ask you but don't have the time right now to post---will PM you later .....thanks again....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom