Just add water? Right.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaPixie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Farmington Hills, MI --> Weeki Wachee, FL
# of dives
500 - 999
Issue: When diving my computer does not register the dive until I am at least 8+ft or more submerged. Should I go through a 'shallow' area - say in a river dive - less the 8 feet the dive computer ENDS the dive and start the SIT.

I am not sure if this is the norm for the Mare's M2 or if this is a defect.:confused:
IMHO its a defect. :(

.....I don't 'do' rivers, but I'm pretty sure most computers terminate the dive once you come within a few feet of the surface....I honestly don't remember how deep my computers 'terminate' the dive (Oceanic and Cochran).....I think mine 'terminate' shallower than 8', but I don't remember the exact #.....I agree, 8' is a little to deep to 'terminate' the dive...but that might just be how your Mares reg is programmed and not a defect...but I've never used a Mares computer so I don't know. I do own/use some Mares regs and I've been happy with them though.

both my Pelagic brand computers don't start the dive until your 5 feet and and terminates it at 5 feet.

this is to keep your computer from "starting the dive" when you're standing chest deep (before/after the dive) and your computer might be hanging down (especially if on a console).

go look at the tables for diving 5 feet of water. you can stay for hours. your computer isn't much use for those depths,, except as a "timer" to record your dive time.

FYI also, if you surface (or get above 5 feet) and then go back down within 5 minutes, most computers consider that as resuming the same dive and don't start that over as a new dive. Read the manual for yours. I bet it does the same thing.

My M2 does this also, I believe at around 6 feet. It considers the dive terminated. As for others, this isn't a problem as I never have to go through shallow areas on my dives... I'm pretty sure mine resumes the dive if I go back down within a certain time...

Yes I love my are's Abyss reg - but not so happy with my computer.

Another down point on the computer is that you CAN NOT get the download software to install I.R.I.S 2.3 software on VISTA so that you can move your dives OFF the Dive computer on to your PC/laptop.

Mare's Customer service response - Sorry not compatible with MS VISTA - Seems to me that since most computers (PC) now ARE VISTA and not to many XP's left that they would update their interface driver....

Just another example of not so 'customer' friendly service/products from Mare's

microsoft design vista not to be compatible with older software it not mares fault how microsoft change the design of their operating system. You should be contacting microsoft on how to make it compatible because the M2 software was here before vista. And I don't see you willing to pay a software engineer to write a new program.

Another down point on the computer is that you CAN NOT get the download software to install I.R.I.S 2.3 software on VISTA so that you can move your dives OFF the Dive computer on to your PC/laptop.

Mare's Customer service response - Sorry not compatible with MS VISTA - Seems to me that since most computers (PC) now ARE VISTA and not to many XP's left that they would update their interface driver....

Actually I know quite a few people that still use XP and won't be going to Vista (myself included). I wouldn't be surprised if the number of XP machines was larger then the number of Vista machines.

Actually I know quite a few people that still use XP and won't be going to Vista (myself included). I wouldn't be surprised if the number of XP machines was larger then the number of Vista machines.

Yeah :shakehead: I'll be the 1st to admit life was better on Xp then on Vista - but if you buy a new PC these days that's what it comes with.

I knew i should'a bought a MAC :D

Checking Mares website they say they are vista compatible.

IRIS on Microsoft Vista - Now Fully Compatible !
Please, refeer to this article in KnowledgeBase: Solution for DRAK and IRIS on Windows Vista Solution for DRAK and IRIS on Windows Vista

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom