Junk car reef on Maui???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StuartT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was reading somewhere about an artificial reef that was about 400 yards off Keawakapu beach. According to the article around 150 old cars were put there to try and start an artificial reef. I've been to Maui many times and dived with most of the Kehei boat charter outfits plus done lots of shore diving and never heard about this dive site. Anyone know about it???

Last edited:
By the way the article about the reef was in an old hotel hard copy book on "Maui" that I think we picked up on our first trip there in 2004.

My dad was one of the best fly fishermen I ever knew; once saw him feed the family with 5 trout landed on just 5 different casts into 5 different meanders of a Wyoming stream. Anyway, there is a saying about teaching someone to fish rather than giving them fish.....

When I type into Yahoo search; k, e, a, w, a, k ..... At that point Yahoo's suggestions includes Keawakapu artificial reef. Clicking on that suggestion, the first hit of the search results could be what your looking for....

So from the looks of it the cars are part of the St. Anthony/tire reef. Does anyone know the depth and relative heading from the St.Anthony the cars are at. Any particular reason the dive boats don't dive the car area?? depth??

You might also try the ScubaBoard Search. :idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom