Jump in, catch it, bring it back, cook it on the boat and eat it!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey

Omniheurist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I saw a show on cable (Maybe "Discovery?") that showed divers out in the North Atlantic.

They caught various tasty creatures like lobsters, crabs, scallops, etc., brought them back to the boat, where they were immdiately cooked and consumed.

I'd love to do this, but can't seem to figure out where it was, or what boat/dive op it was.

If memory serves me correctly, it was a big steel fishing boat, converted for SCUBA.

Does anybody else remember anything like this?

Thanks!

Terry

When I go spear fishing, (no scuba gear) we always cut up one of the fish on the boat and eat it shushami style. I think that is fairly common.

Although I love sushi and sashimi, this was a whole setup. I seem to remember that they had a lobster pot over a propane burner on the back deck.

Terry

Don't know the show or the op, but it reminds of a trip I took the summer after I graduated from HS. 2 weeks on a 65 ft sailboat with about 20 people. Snorkled every day all over the Bahamas. A normal dinner was grilled snapper or lobster with conch fritters, only minutes removed from the water. Left Miami with a weeks worth of provisions, came back with at least 3 days worth. It's the trip that made me fall in love with being underwater and the reason that I eventually (20 years later) got scuba certified.

I saw a show on cable (Maybe "Discovery?") that showed divers out in the North Atlantic.

They caught various tasty creatures like lobsters, crabs, scallops, etc., brought them back to the boat, where they were immdiately cooked and consumed.

I'd love to do this, but can't seem to figure out where it was, or what boat/dive op it was.

If memory serves me correctly, it was a big steel fishing boat, converted for SCUBA.

Does anybody else remember anything like this?

Thanks!

Terry

Hello Terry

I'm a Diver from Nova Scotia. I'm sure there are boats that do this for you, I personally have never done it. I can tell you one thing, lobster would be out of the question as lobster diving here in Nova Scotia is highly illegal. It can cost you you gear..boat..a hefty fine and could land you in prison. Not worth it. I would never dive for them, too costly. Also don't eat lobster. Now scallops here in Nova Scotia through Dept. of Fisheries you can buy a scallop diving license for $10 and bring up 50 scallops a day.

Hello Terry

I'm a Diver from Nova Scotia. I'm sure there are boats that do this for you, I personally have never done it. I can tell you one thing, lobster would be out of the question as lobster diving here in Nova Scotia is highly illegal. It can cost you you gear..boat..a hefty fine and could land you in prison. Not worth it. I would never dive for them, too costly. Also don't eat lobster. Now scallops here in Nova Scotia through Dept. of Fisheries you can buy a scallop diving license for $10 and bring up 50 scallops a day.

I could do that! NS is only about a day away for me!

Terry

Well if you are ever in NS PM me and I will hook you up with some nice scallop diving. Also the diving here is tremendous and we have hundreds of wrecks and dive sites. I'm just getting into photgraphy so I will have pics on here soon.

Jeremy

I think you can do something like what your asking about on the boats out of Mexico.
I know some boats catch your dinner, normaly fresh fish, and cook it up for you?

In areas where they have a lobser preseason you could hand catch spiny lobsters (Florida?) and eat them.

Most of the Asian boats I think have an anything goes policy you might do this on. I wouldn't be surprised if you could take a boat out of China or Japan and eat ANYTHING you find.

Local laws rule... not every place is concerned about impact. When I lived in Washington State there was complaints all the time about Japan based boats off shore that would drag many long cables with massive numbers of hooks on them behind the boats. They would basicaly strip the entire swaths in the ocean free of everything... Tore up coral and the bottom of the ocean in the process. They would strip anything "edible" off and dump the rest, the make another pass with the hooks until they had a full load.

Well, where ever you find a boat to do that on, you had better know the regulations. Some species, take striped bass in NJ for example, you have to have the whole fish. If you filet and cook one up on board, even though it might be legal size, you can still get a fine...

Well if you are ever in NS PM me and I will hook you up with some nice scallop diving. Also the diving here is tremendous and we have hundreds of wrecks and dive sites. I'm just getting into photgraphy so I will have pics on here soon.

Jeremy

Thanks, it sounds great!

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom