July, Liveaboards or good diving in the Similans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

black_sea

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Need help with information on diving in Thailand in July.

Is there good diving in July? Are the similans open for diving?
I have been thinking of booking a diving vacation for me and the SO in Thailand. Liveaboard or live on Koh Lanta etc and take dive trips.
we were in Koh Lanta in April and the diving at Koh Rok etc was superb.

But I am not sure I am reading this right, are the similans closed for diving/liveaboards in July? Any alternatives?

Thank you for any information.

You can't do a liveaboard to the Similans in July. The park is closed. You can do dives to the south of Phuket. It's often quite pleasant since the boats are not so full, and therefore the dive sites are not so crowded. You should be able to find a couple of shops open on Lanta, though many will be closed for the season.

Thank You for your reply Quero. For once we have the kid away, so of course good diving has to be closed....

There are lots of nice alternatives on the other side of the peninsula.

Thank you Zippsy, but I have little experience in Malaysia or Burma.
The Similans were great, what exactly would you recommend on the other side?

I am primarily interested in biodiversity reef dives, with most above 20 meters deep and no strenuous currents as my SO is open water diver and I dont know if we will have time to get her certified to advanced.

There is a charter flight from Stockholm to Bangkok that is less than 700 Euro, that is attractive as well.

Thank You for your reply Quero. For once we have the kid away, so of course good diving has to be closed....

There is some very respectable diving to be had from Lanta. The Koh Haa area is nice, and perfect for a new diver like your SO, and of course there are Hin Daeng and Hin Muang further south, but easily reachable from Lanta even in July if sea conditions are favorable, though they are more challenging dives. Or you could consider east coast and dive the mainly easy sites of the Gulf of Thailand. All are just a hop from Bangkok. Don't lose heart!

Yes, unfortunately no diving at the Similans this time if year. Just one/two boats a week would keep the fishers at bay.

But if you prefer liveaboard diving, there still are a few options in the Phuket area. Koh Lanta will be quiet, but there still will be some options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom