JULY 4: Independence Day and Fireworks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

offroaddiver

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Today is 230 years of declaring and fighting for our freedoms and independence. On Memorial day I was lucky enough to be in Yorktown and Jamestown. A turning point in the fight for our independence and the settlement that started the colonies.

This fourth of July people take an oppourtunity to get as much money out of people as possible. In this city I've seen gas prices jump 20 - 30 cents per gallon because they know that people will want gas to go visit friends and family. The closest fireworks stand is selling sparkler for $3 instead of 50 cents the rest of the year.

Then there are the ones that take you by surprise. The gas station that puts up decorative flags but refuses to be pushed into a gas war with the "name brand" gas stations. There's the fireworks tent that is run by volunteers where all the proceeds go directly to a chapel for travelers and truckers so that they can attend a church service while on the long journeys.

Today has brought neighbors in cities together to watch fireworks, parades, etc. There are the fortunate ones that get to spend today with loved ones and friends. Those that get to watch a kid write with the smoke of a sprinkler. The ones that scare off the lightning bugs with firecrackers. The ones that spend hundreds of dollars fixing food and organizing a fireworks display. Everyone patriotic celebrating in their own ways.

Then there are the few who are really lucky. The people who can celebrate both dry and wet. I've heard of people planning a search and rescue of watermelon that was sunk with a weight belt. I bet that melon tastes great after spending time at 60'. Dry and wet we have great fun on this day.

But we all must remember the dangers. Keeping little children away from the explosive blackpowder. Making sure that the stray fireworks don't destroy our property, especially our tanks or burn our wetsuits. THe divers must also remember their training, that way a day of celebration does not become a day of rememberance.

So go forth and celebrate this country's birthday. A day that people have to work to support their families, remember to be kind even though they made be rude from a long day of dealing with even more impolite people. A day that police officers stay awake during the night catching drunk drivers and keeping them off the roads and alive. And a day to celebrate that I was able to even post this message.

I would, but its raining on and off in Hilo, and all I have is my bike =(. Family back home just got back from the indian reservation with goodies, even though I'm fairly certain you can't have fireworks where I live?

Hope nobody gets hurt! Remember, throw the lit firework, not the match!

Only in America.....

Ironically, while celebrating our Indepenence and having a long tradition of annual fireworks shows, our local news media reported that this will be the last year that the fireworks companies are allowed to use 12 inch shells in their shows due to a new Homeland Security law/rule....

Everyone have a good 4th!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom