Trip Report Juliet Liveaboard to Bahamas (May 22-28, 2021)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great report!

I have heard good things about Bimini diving, and would like to go. A friend in south Florida said that they run their personal boat over from the Keys, clear customs and stay at a small AirBnB, then do a few days of morning 2 tank dives and spend the afternoons on the beach. I think he mentioned hammerheads specifically, and I believe they are baited dives.

Appreciate you taking the time and detailing your trip, always enjoy reading your reports.

I think he mentioned hammerheads specifically, and I believe they are baited dives.

Your post jogged my memory; I've read of baited dives in that area. Here's a link to an article where this is said:

"March, 2017.

A little over a decade ago it was discovered that Great Hammerhead sharks, particularly females, aggregate at Bimini Island in the Northern Bahamas during the winter months (December-April). Since then Bimini has become a shark diver’s pilgrimage. You’ll get consistent, close-up encounters and long bottom times with these elusive sharks. And you can also expect Nurse sharks to join the mix, and maybe (hopefully) even some Bull sharks."

I don't recall any Juliet trip reports mentioning hammerheads; wonder how often their divers see them (if at all)?

HUGE DISCLAIMER

This initial trip report post will be completely narrative driven and probably be overly verbose (those that know me, would expect nothing less). I am not going to post any photos for a few days (well, maybe a couple- we will see) so, feel free to slowly read and take it in and post your questions and comments: I expect no less than 3-4 very relevant questions from @drrich2 that I will feel compelled to reply to. Be kind to me "MASTER YODA of the Trip Report"!

Apologies for digging this post up, but I'm heading to Juliet in October for the Bahamas trip. Wondering what your max and average depths were for the trip. I saw a few mentions of depth - how often did you get to 60+? 100?

Excited to go!

@edoralive, which October trip are you on? There are a couple of us from SB who will be on the October 2-8 trip!

Apologies for digging this post up, but I'm heading to Juliet in October for the Bahamas trip. Wondering what your max and average depths were for the trip. I saw a few mentions of depth - how often did you get to 60+? 100?

Excited to go!
I went below 60 feet only 3 times. Nearly all dives were quite shallow with hard sand bottoms.

We did have a few (3) wall and sloping/wall dives where depths could get deeper if desired; but not necessary, unless you wanted to.
Krispy Kreme saw me going below 100 feet on both dives. It was worth it and made sense.

What a great trip report on the Juliet, thanks so much @Trailboss123 :)

Like Kimela said above, we will be on the October 2 trip. One of the reasons I booked the Juliet was the ease of coming home - both in October out of Miami and again in Feb/March out of St. Croix. No testing coming back from either. We do have to test prior to each trip, but that's okay. At this point, the only way we could have gotten around that was to do something in the States and I really wanted to get out a bit.

I am so looking forward to this trip - been way too long!

Back
Top Bottom