Judging distance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In my last lot of photos I worked very hard to try and be close enough to the subject (using an MX10 which is a fixed focus). Unfortunately I tended to get a bit too close and the fish would be blurred but I'd get some really sharp rocks in the background.

Any advice on how to judge distance? Putting an arm out isn't the best method as the fish will usually swim away. "Laying out" a shot is possible, but then you have to wait for the fish to come to you.

Thanks.

The fixed focus on my MX-10 and MMII is the main reason I switched to digital!

I took a length of nylon cord and measured it to 30". One end I tied to my BC so that I could extend it with one arm. Then I spent alot of time on the bottom of a pool, in the lake..anytime I was underwater....practicing judging distance. I would look at a spot and judge whether it was in the 'focus' area. Slowly after using my cord to correct myself, I learned to judge it pretty accurately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom