Jon line length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo:
What's a good length for a jon line? I'm making one up.

I like 7 - 10' Long enough to get you out of the deco cluster, short enough to keep you in range of the line.

I have a 5 foot one that works good for me.

Mine is 3 meters (10ft) I use 1" nylon strap with a slide buckle on it so it's adjustable down to 1.5 (5 ft). I typically have it set at 2 meters for deploying.
I dive in The St Lawrence River quite a lot, so a current hang is common.
It can get busy at the 15 -20 ft level, so if it's crowded, I extend it to give me some space.
I use the "HOOK". with a bolt clip on the other end.

I recently saw an excellent version,..... the line and hook are stowed in a nylon pocket or sleeve, stitched over the strap so only the the bolt snap is exposed. Everything is tucked in the sleeve, with a velcro flap opposite the bolt snap to keep it packed ands secure until needed.
This is easily placed on a D ring, where it's easily reached and it doesn't get caught because it all nicley wraped in the sleeve.

A nice addition, I'm adding one to mine.
Currently I just have a 1" piece of bicycle inner tube wrapped around it.
So I have to keep it in a pocket , or the hook could snag on something

regards

Mike D

Scubaroo:
What's a good length for a jon line? I'm making one up.

Mine is home made out of 1" webbing, 10' long. I keep it bungied just over my right shoulder D-ring. It's also handy for sending those weird shaped pieces securely to the surface on a lift bag.

Sounds like 10' is the length then. Mine's going to be dual purpose for use as a buddy line on the surface, so I'll be putting boltsnaps on both ends. Was going to use 1/4" rope but I'll go out and get some webbing and have it sewn.

It depends on how many other divers are on deco with you. Ten feet may not be enough in all situations. I retired my homemade jonlines for my spool instead. I simply loop the line around the upline, let out the length I need, clip the end of the line onto the spool and clip the other end of the double-ender to my right D-ring. As I ascend, I can slide the line up without loosening it from the upline.

MaxBottomtime:
It depends on how many other divers are on deco with you. Ten feet may not be enough in all situations. I retired my homemade jonlines for my spool instead. I simply loop the line around the upline, let out the length I need, clip the end of the line onto the spool and clip the other end of the double-ender to my right D-ring. As I ascend, I can slide the line up without loosening it from the upline.
Nice idea and one less item of equipment to carry.

MaxBottomtime:

Sounds good, that's what we used to do. Right up until the thin line on the spool broke on my buddy one day in 6' seas and ripping current. We got him back to the line, but watching that happen affirmed for us that we want something beefier.

If you _NEED_ the jon line, line from a spool is not sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom