John Pennekamp State Park...any good shore dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

allenwrench:

Thanks for your feedback

No, the reefs are a couple of miles offshore, there is a little lagoon there if you want to get wet and check out your gear. It has some fake cannons on the bottom and I've seen schools of 3 foot tarpon in there. It's where I take out of town guests that haven't dove in awhile before we go dive the reefs.

What Dennis said....you will need to contact a dive shop/provider to go out to the reefs or the statue. If you need any further help, etc, just PM me.

Pat

That would depend on how far you can walk. :cool:

I used the dive op inside the park a couple of times, and even after the boat ride, we were only in maybe 20 feet of water.

Terry

allenwrench:

Thanks for your feedback

allenwrench:

Thanks for your feedback
"Good" is a relative term.

The first swimming area on your left after the guard shack at John Pennekamp State Park is called Cannon Beach. The cannons and anchor there are real... relocated from the reef and laid out in 4-6' of water there to re-create the appearance of an old shipwreck site. Lots of colorful tropical fishes hang out near the cannons.

The trench next to the cannons features good vertical relief on either side, a mucky bottom, and a maximum depth of about 25'. Tarpon often school and roll on the surface in the trench area... sometimes causing tourists to run screaming from the water! :D

The vertical relief on either side of the trench is good spiny lobster habitat, and I've seen nurse sharks there on several occassions. There are a couple of old car frames in there too! The visibility generally sucks (10' is a good day), and the water is brown and stinky. A thorough gear rinse and a good shower are mandatory following a Cannon Beach dive!

I didn't know they were real cannons, I just assumed they were a display all these years. Live and learn.

Thanks for all the feedback. Seems like most of the action is via boat. Any rec on who to go with as far as dive boats charters?

Talk to KeyLargoBrent who's already posted in this thread! He runs a top notch business and will be more than happy to accomodate you, I'm sure.

Rachel

biscuit7:
Talk to KeyLargoBrent who's already posted in this thread! He runs a top notch business and will be more than happy to accomodate you, I'm sure.

Rachel

What Rachel said!! I just came back from diving with Brent, He will take care of you. We did 7 dives with him in 2 days and they were all excellent. He even went out of his way to fit in a night dive for the 3 of us.

I went to Cannon beach today. It is closed for swimming/diving due to high bacteria levels. Also, I have been told viz is down to 1-5' near shore due to silt being disturbed by road construction.
Did Grecian rocks though, good viz and no danger of bacteria

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom