John Lloyd Rec Area Beaches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for information on beach diving at John Lloyd. Ned DeLoach's book notes it to be a good spot, but I'd like some local input. I'll be diving in the area in early July, with about 6 - 10 other folks and we're looking for some beach sites in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Any info will be appreciated.

bigz once bubbled...
Looking for information on beach diving at John Lloyd. Ned DeLoach's book notes it to be a good spot, but I'd like some local input. I'll be diving in the area in early July, with about 6 - 10 other folks and we're looking for some beach sites in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Any info will be appreciated.

There are two good beach diving locations in Broward County.
The first one starts at the south end of John Lloyd down past Missouri Street. First ledges are about 15' to 18' and another set about 100 yards further out are in about 22' to 28'. Watch where you park, smash & grab auto burglaries are too common here.

Another (and more popular) location is south of the pier at Commercial Blvd in Fort Lauderdale. Datura Street is the starting point there. This location is a lot safer (IMO).

We used to do a lot of beach diving off Oakland Park Blvd. You have to swim a ways out because the first reef is nothing but a bunch of rocks, you need to go to the second reef. It's about 25 to 30 feet deep and fairly nice. There is a nice parking lot to park your car in and a shower to rinse yourself off with after the dive.

Scott

John Lloyd is awesome if you can find the jacks. Its probably the toughest beach dive I have done in Broward County because you have to walk so far with your equipment, but so worth it. PM me if you want exact directions and/or a tour guide :)
Jenny

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom