John Goodner - Adventure Sports - Auburn Alabama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Sometimes it’s hard to sit and remember good times and things that make you smile and then realize that they’re gone. John Goodner, owner of Adventure Sports, Inc. in Auburn is one of those folks synonymous with upbeat and happy. His frugality with money is the basis of many a quip. John is a legend in his own time.

John passed away yesterday morning after a long and heroic battle with the evil cancer. Our dragon slayer party a couple of years ago accented those survivors who fought the battle and won. In John’s case the dragon proved just too powerful.

Funeral services will be arranged by Jeffcoat-Trant Funeral Home at 1500 Frederick Road in Opelika with visitation from 6 to 8 pm Friday. John is survived by his wife Aileene, seven children, and tens of thousands of close friends.

When I heard the news I wept, John you live on in our hearts and our fondest memories.

From the Auburn-Opelika News today…
http://www.legacy.com/OANow/Obituaries.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=87574828

Funeral service for John Thomas Goodner age 53 of Auburn is Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 2:00 p.m. at Covenant Presbyterian Church in Auburn. Burial is in Town Creek Cemetery. The Rev. Gary Spooner is officiating. Visitation is Friday from 6-8p.m. at Jeffcoat-Trant Funeral Home. Mr. Goodner, who died Thursday, April 26, 2007 at his home, was born November 24, 1953 in Birmingham. Mr. Goodner was a Scuba Instructor at Auburn University. He was the Owner of Adventure Sports in Auburn and Montgomery, Chairman of the Board of Camp Marannook, a Board of Director for Sav-A-Life, member of the Kiwanis Club and an Elder at Covenant Presbyterian Church. He was a wonderful father, businessman, teacher, and giver. He is survived by his wife, Aileene Beall Goodner,; sons, John Goodner, Jr., Drew Goodner, Gray Goodner, Straley Goodner, Will Goodner; daughters, Mary Beth Goodner, Cate Goodner; sister, Jane Goodner Van Eaton; sisters-in-law, Beth Beall, Lisa Beall, Laura Beall, and brothers-in-law, Julian Beall, III, Bruce Beall, and Charlie Van Eaton. Jeffcoat-Trant Funeral Home is directing.

I've just returned from John's funeral, a celebration of the too short life of a good man who spent it doing good things.
There's no telling how many divers John brought into Scuba during his career, but it is thousands and thousands.
We will all miss him.
Rick

I have known John for some years now and am very sadden to learn of his passing. I know his family is heart broken... He will surely be missed....

As John would have wanted, we carried on and brought almost 50 Auburn students to Vortex on Friday and Panama City on Saturday. We were not able to attend the funeral but tonight as we lay at anchor over Bridge Span One - All came to the bow and we had a memorial service for John as the sun sat in the West.

That great orange ball slowly disappearing - us knowing that soon the sun rises and signals the start of new life and new adventures. We expect that John is up there right now negotiating a deal with St Peter.

A wonderful man, a wonderful life, loved by all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom