Jocassee dive report 5/27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
Had a great time diving Jocassee on 5/27. Got a chance to meet the infamous MikeRault of the Lake Lanier Looney Birds and many of his fellow Looney Birds. Mike’s wife is so sweet. How did Mike get such a sweet woman to marry him?? It was truly a joy to meet her and get to chat about diving with her. I look forward to diving with her sometime when they come up again. It was great to meet Siren and her husband too. Really nice folks and it was great to have them in our nexk of the woods.

We tried to dive some private ponds first thing in the morning. The report on that can be found here: http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=192850

The water temps were very nice. We saw a lot of fish schooling. Jocasseegirl and I were watching a little school of small mouth bass in some shallow water. A good time was being had by all, until I saw a very large snake swoop into the water out of the corner of my eye. I only saw the back 3 feet of his body as he was getting back out of the water. It was as big around as the core of a toilet paper roll.

I wasn’t sure if he was coming back or not and we were very close to where he had been, so I grabbed Jocasseegirl’s BC and began to shove her deeper and swim my little heart out. She thought I wanted her to see something, but when we got back to the surface I explained that it was just the opposite that I wanted her to NOT see something. We have now added trying to drag your buddy off as part of our standard buddy communication system.

Somewhere in the process she lost her dive slate. So, I wrote out S N A K E in the silt on a rock. It took her a minute or so to make out my writing in the silt, but when she did, her eyes filled her mask.

We hovered about for a 10 minutes near some logs and three brim decided to become our insta buddies. They swam close to us and even pecked Jocasseegirl’s mask. When we left the area they followed us for another 10 minutes or so and seemed genuinely interested in us.

Jocasseegirl spotted about and 18 inch channel catfish inside a stump. It had a buddy that was about 12 inches hanging outside and we hovered for 10 or so minutes just watching them and being envious of their effortless ability to hover in the water.

It was one of the nicest days of diving I think I have had thus far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom