job market?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

javajoe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Getting ready to start my training this November but getting nervous about the job market after looking online for openings. Are there just to many people for to few jobs? The program I am in will take me up to MSDT, DSAT Gas Blender, 5 DAN instructor ratings, etc. It is a 3 phase program covering just about every PADI cert except rebreather, tec, and course director. I dropped over $9000 for the course and $2500 for gear so no turning back now unless I try to get my money back or fail the training ,but I really like diving. What would be a realistic expectation for my first job after training? Where do you look for job openings? What can I expect to make?

Will be located in Florida for the school. I am in Illinois now but going to Baltimore in the morning and will be there until I fly down to Florida.

Being an instructor is a 2nd job.........at least for me it is..I certainly could not support myself on what I make ...I'm sure there are some instructors somewhere that make a decent living, but I dont know any....

I make enough by other means to support myself but I don't plan on working for free. I would like to get a job in a place or country that I have not been to yet. I have heard that some contracts offer room and board to supplement the meager pay. I would be ok with that but just trying to get some ballpark numbers and have some realistic expectaions.

---------- Post added September 25th, 2014 at 02:04 AM ----------

How hard is it to get a paid contract fresh out of school?

Contract? For a dive instructor? Right out of training with no other skills like a captain's ticket, reg tech, compressor tech, diesel mechanic, or now maybe Web design you'd be better off as an independent instructor. Shops/operations that have not trained you are going to be very leery of even giving you a chance. They often have scads of their own DM's and instructors who in many cases are willing to work for slave or no wages. You might get very lucky and find a third world operation that will let you pay them to work there. I don't know what kind of hype the school you plan to attend told you but you can swing a mouse in popular dive spots and hit a dozen instructors. Most of them out of work. Or waiting tables and tending bar. The go pro thing is designed to help people make money. But not the pro. The agency and the school get the cash.

Thanks for the information. What you just said reminds me of some time I spent on Koh Tao. I got my sailing lic in Hawaii maybe I should look into a maritime school after/if I get my MSDT and look into Captain programs, marine mechanic/diesel generator courses and pick up some web developing/design class as well. Neptune group out of Florida comes to mind.

---------- Post added September 25th, 2014 at 10:12 AM ----------

Will also get my TESOL, couldn't hurt especially since I am interested in places off the beaten path.

I make enough by other means to support myself but I don't plan on working for free. I would like to get a job in a place or country that I have not been to yet. I have heard that some contracts offer room and board to supplement the meager pay. I would be ok with that but just trying to get some ballpark numbers and have some realistic expectaions.

---------- Post added September 25th, 2014 at 02:04 AM ----------

How hard is it to get a paid contract fresh out of school?

to give you an idea..I spent 9 months teaching in Cozumel last year..I made enough money to live and that's about it...but..that was my goal....I got a 9 month vacation on a tropical island and made hundreds of new friends..... I was perfectly happy with that outcome.

That sounds like fun! I have not spent much time in Mexico and have never been to the Caribbean. As long as I made enough for room and board where I was, that would be copacetic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom