Jet Fins + Spring Straps = Toe Bruising/Cuts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krukster86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

I invested in a pair of used ScubaPro Jet Fins that I absolutely am in love with. I did a few dives with the original straps and had no issues. After some difficulty removing the fins with gloves on, I replaced the straps with spring-straps. The spring straps definitely felt a little looser than the original straps, but tight enough that my foot did not move around in the footpocket of the fins. After 1-2 dives where a decent kicking is required, I notice a pain in 1-2 toes of each foot, and when I remove the fin boot, I see that the affected toes are either bruised or are cut and bleeding lightly. Are the spring straps a tad too loose (putting pressure on the toes during kicking rather than the whole foot)?

They sound to be maybe too small or the maybe the spring is too tight. Of course, they shouldn't be bruising/cutting your toes.

Yikes, now I am not so sure anymore! I am going to my LDS this weekend, maybe I can discuss it with them.

I own some small sized F2s but the foot pocket is so spacious I had to get some shorter springs in the hope I could get them to fit better. They didn't slop around as much but my toes would start to hurt after about 20 minutes. Good luck.

Does your foot fit snug into the fin pocket?

Are the Spring straps tight enough to hold your foot in the pocket. I found I needed the spring straps one size smaller than the fin to hold properly on my boot. XL Jetfin, L spring strap.

Use a lycra sock which minimizes the scuffing when your foot moves in the boot.

Good Luck

Bob
---------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Hey all,

I invested in a pair of used ScubaPro Jet Fins that I absolutely am in love with. I did a few dives with the original straps and had no issues. After some difficulty removing the fins with gloves on, I replaced the straps with spring-straps. The spring straps definitely felt a little looser than the original straps, but tight enough that my foot did not move around in the footpocket of the fins. After 1-2 dives where a decent kicking is required, I notice a pain in 1-2 toes of each foot, and when I remove the fin boot, I see that the affected toes are either bruised or are cut and bleeding lightly. Are the spring straps a tad too loose (putting pressure on the toes during kicking rather than the whole foot)?

Some people in general have difficulty flutter kicking with Jets. But, either the fins are too small or the spring straps too tight. There really does not need to be a lot of pressure.

Most men with feet 10 to 12 ish size give or take and diving wet will use the size XL Jet.

If you have the XXL and your foot is being jammed forward in the huge and gigantic foot pocket allowing your foot to rock with each kick then that could do it as well.

N

Back
Top Bottom