jet fin wet boots (not sizing problem)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oversea

Reaction score
I currently use a set of XXL jets with my rock boots and drysuit. I also have a set for wetsuit diving as I liked them alot. The one thing I did not like was my current wetboot, scubapro deck soles, felt as though they did not give enough support for the pressure exterted by the jet blade. Maybe it is just because I am used to the dry boot. Previously I used the twin jets with the wetboots and were fine. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Any boot recommendations?
Thanks

I never use the Twin Jet myself but I enjoy diving in Jet Fin alot.

What I know is that the fin pockets are different in Twin Jet and Jet Fin, visually. You will find that the fin pocket bottom of the Twin Jet are extended further out than that of the Jet Fin. I believe this provides better supports when doing fin kicks. Boots with thick soles would help but I don't think you will feel as supportive as the Twin Jet.

Also, since Twin Jet is split while Jet Fin is paddle, they certain feel different when cutting through the water.

That's my perspective.

I've noticed the same thing - I have a pair of boots that have thin soles and my feet get very sore using them with jets. I also have a pair of hightide ranger boots ( http://www.hightidegear.com/boots.htm )that work great - my feet feel great afterwards. - much thicker lug style soles.

Aloha, Tim

btw - my shoe size is 13 and I wear a 3XL high-tide boot, but would go with a 4XL next time...

Interesting you should mention this. Just this weekend I was sitting in the house holding a jetfin and pondering some sort of support or pocket-extender for the bottom of the foot-pocket. My idea was something to provide some support to distribute the work across the length of the foot (all the way to the heel) instead of focusing it in the center of the arch (where the pocket ends). My Viking suit has very soft boots with no sole support, so I have the same proplem you describe - foot arch get's sore.

My other thought was to put a stiffener inside the sole of my boots instead of messing with the fins.

-Ben M.

airsix:
Interesting you should mention this. Just this weekend I was sitting in the house holding a jetfin and pondering some sort of support or pocket-extender for the bottom of the foot-pocket. My idea was something to provide some support to distribute the work across the length of the foot (all the way to the heel) instead of focusing it in the center of the arch (where the pocket ends). My Viking suit has very soft boots with no sole support, so I have the same proplem you describe - foot arch get's sore.

My other thought was to put a stiffener inside the sole of my boots instead of messing with the fins.

-Ben M.

just nail a 3/4" piece of plywood onto the bottom of your boots ... though in a DS it does introduce some "new" issues :wink: ...

If you could find some of that flexible, yet stiff plastic used for cutting boards that was only 1/4" thick it would probably be ideal - cut a piece and put it in the sole of the boot with a piece of neoprene over top for padding ...

Let us all know what you come up with though -

Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom