Jet Fin spring straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

=C=

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
The third planet (a smaller one but a nice blue hu
# of dives
5000 - ∞
So... I went to the LDS to get some spring straps because my straps broke. Had spares but have been intending to switch anyway....

so... 90 bux... 80 for the generics. Thought thast was well... insane. So I made these and wanted to show them off :) 12 bucks at the do-it-center!

Pics:
DSC012081.JPG

DSC01206.JPG

DSC01215.JPG

these are all the tools i used plus needle and thread to sew the tabs.

-C

Another way to do these is to buy a pair of 1" d-rings. saw through the middle of the straight edge, pull it apart, insert through spring end, and padding or such, then clamp it down onto the jet's pin holes. this worked for me with the 1" d-rings from reefscuba.com.

I like these, Aloha Shore Divers

Much cheaper and easier to get my fins on and off.

I really like the idea shown in the Aloha Shore Divers link. I have a pair of jet fins with the buckles already cut off. I was wandering around Lowe's tonight looking for a solution.

In one of the spring threads I read recently someone stated they used wire ties. I am thinking they meant rebar wire ties. So anyway I decided to head over to that part of the store after spending a good bit of time in the specialty hardware drawers. I didn't want to purchase a whole bundle of rebar ties, but the rebar cradle for 38 cents really caught my eye!

It seems the cradle is very close if not the same gauge wire as the wire on my Manta springs. I think if I really wanted to I could get 8-10 pins/c clamps out of it in the same fashion and the Manta pin. I don't think the rebar cradle material would hold up to salt water very well and I am sure even in fresh it will rust. But for 38 cents I won't feel too bad if my prototype doesn't go that well or if I toss a pin or two because they don't look pretty!

I also decided to get a black bungee. I was very tempted by the pretty yellow, red, blue and green bungees, but since the tiny yellow patch on my wetsuit is looking sad I decided for the black. So for under $4 I will have a set of bungee straps. My new used fins should be here Monday. It is my third pair of Scuba Pro fins, but as a woman I feel I must have more than one pair of shoes and fins are the shoes of diving!

Actually, I decided to get a pair of Bare ice boots for colder weather and medium fin just won't accept the size boot I need. I paid $11 for the large SP jet fins and $21 to ship them to me. It just seemed wrong to pay more for the shipping than the fins and even more wrong to put a spring on them that cost several times the cost of the fin.

I think I will sew some tabs on the back like Tartullian did. That is a nice touch.

Last edited:
I paid $11 for the large SP jet fins and $21 to ship them to me. It just seemed wrong to pay more for the shipping than the fins and even more wrong to put a spring on them that cost several times the cost of the fin.

This happened to me as well. Ebay saved searches are dangerous. $6.00 20 minutes left... $18 shipping... Hmmm.

Bought my first pair of jets at the LDS for $112 in 1996 (pictured)... now I have 4 ebay pairs and am jonesing for a blue pair. :eyebrow:

Well the came yesterday. They are sweet, but they are extra large and not large as the seller said, I will have to wait unitl I get my new boots to see if they will work. I can still get my money back out of them. They are in great shape. I have $30 in them and am sure I could sell them for that much to someone if they don't work

Hmm...if your extra large won't work, I am looking for a set. I happen to have a set of large (black) that don't fit my boots.

Thanks for the offer.

I think I will wait until I get my new boots. When I put my tennis shoe in the ex-l's there isn't too much room left. Maybe it is a good thing I got the wrong size. Time will tell. I see a dry suit in my future, so I might need them anyway with rock boots. And really, can you have too many pairs of great fins???:rofl3:

Do you have a stretch limiter in your DIY springs (a string going from one post to the other that prevents the springs from over-stretching)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom