Jet Fin question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lakediver

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a new member to your site. Just a few questions about jet fins. I recently purchased the Scuba Pro Twin Jet Split Fins. I tried them out in the pool and they seemed to work okay. I know I'll like them more with practice. I took them with me when I did some cenote diving in the Yucatan area, and had a hard time keeping up with the rest of the group. I had to be very careful of the silt situation in some of the areas. I think I'll switch to the regular jets for that type of diving. I did however notice there was no leg fatigue at the end of the dive. My question regards sizing. My shoe size is 11 and a half. So I think I'll need an extra large. However on the Twin Jets the x- large was too sloppy on the sides, and the large fits nicely. A friend let me try on a older pair of Jets he had that was a size large. These were too tight on the sides and my heels stuck out at least three inches. How are they supposed to fit? How far is your heel suppose to stick out? I thought it shouldn't be more then one and a half inches. I'm planning on ordering these through Leisure Pro at $61.00. By the way I made a pair of the Imitation Oceanic Spring Heel Straps through www.cisatlantic.com and they turned out great and you do get a little adjustment capabilities with them. Any information would be very helpful before I order them. Thanks.

The Jets run small so the XL is probably what you want. It is my understanding that they were originally designed to be worn without booties so the pockets run smaller than most newer designs.

Good luck.

Chad

I agree, you'll probably need an XL. You won't be able to tell for sure until you try them on, however. The heel can stick out several inches, the important thing is that the pocket doesn't pinch and that your foot extends all the way (or close enough) to the "front" of the pocket so that your foot is held firmly in place. Changing boots can make a difference, too.

Welcome to the board, by the way. Where in the Chicago area is home?

Steven

I wear a size 12 shoe, size 10 boot and went with the X-Large Jet Fins.

Same exact problem here, almost.... I have a size 101/2 shoe. I own Large twin Jets which fit fine. Ordered a pair of Large Jets which were too small. awaiting my exchange for the X/L Jets from LP as we speak.

SP's web site shows that for size 11-12 feet the X/L is correct for Jet Fins but it's not the same for the Twin jets. Same company with different size standards, go figure huh. I hope this helps.

-crispy

If at all possible.......even if you need different booties.......get the XL's.

The blades on the XL's are about 2 1/2 inches longer than the larges, which does make a difference.

It really seems to depend on your own foot dimensions and the type of booties you wear. I have size 13 feet and use XL jets, which fit fine. I've heard other folks with similar-sized feet that there is no way they can use the XL Jets.

If was to upgrade to booties with more rugged soles or rock boots, I think I would have switch back to my old Mares Quattros or look at the IDI turtle fins.

Back
Top Bottom