Jet fin foot pocket problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello:

I am a Jet fin user and as a size 10 shoe size I use an XL size jet fin. Am I the only one who finds their foot pocket shallow? Or do other folks of same size feel the same? I was wondering if it could be the boot type too. I was told by a jet fin user that the Jets were designed to be worn with a sock type soft boot that should not have a sole. When we use hard sole boots with the jets that is when things get thrown off. Has anyone else found that to be the case too?

an XL should be fine for a size 10 foot...maybe even a little loose.

Most likely, you have a heavy dive boot with a big solid sole. in many cases the wide, thick portions of the boot on the SIDES of your feet are too thick to allow the boot to be easily and comfortably inserted into the pocket. This will make it very uncomfortable if your foot is crushed laterally.. bad cramps fast..

You may want to try a dive boot with a thinner sole and especially less material on the sides. I ended up taking my boots to a grinder wheel and grinding off the extra un-needed sole material on the sides of the boot. Carefully!

I have found my foot more comfortable with a sock rather than boot but on my other fins i prefer a boot with a flexible sole.

Oh and I have 4 pair of jets also...xl..xxl or too small and too big.

I'm a US size 9 and with soft soled booties, I fit into the L fine. I'll need a XL if i were to wear hard soled booties. You're just one size larger than me so it's weird that you couldn't fit comfortably into the XL but I suppose your boot and instep height might have something to do with the issue too because my hard soled bootie can fit into the L when stuffed just nice with newspaper but because my instep, especially the one on the dominant foot, is rather hardened and slightly higher than normal with all those kicking when I was doing taekwondo actively, once my foot's in, I can't go into the fin's foot pocket.

With that said, are you using with the steel or rubber straps? Should be easier with the rubber straps because the original Jet fin steel straps are small!

Reminds me, use the aftermarket spring straps. You actually get to pick a size. :shocked:

---------- Post added August 14th, 2013 at 10:50 PM ----------

...//... my hard soled bootie can fit into the L when stuffed just nice with newspaper ...//...
Scubapro workaround? :wink:

I have not used those fins in years. The footpockets do SUCK, they are uncomfortable and poorly designed. they tended to tear my feet up if I dove a lot.

With that said, are you using with the steel or rubber straps? Should be easier with the rubber straps because the original Jet fin steel straps are small!

Yes that is also one problem. I have metal spring straps by XS scuba (I believe) and they are also very tight. I have always had to wrestling and struggle on boats to get my foot in them. I should may be change the boots to socks and get a bigger looser spring strap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom