Jet Drive zodiac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The major reason I don't like jet-drives it that unless you are applying throttle, you have NO Steering! So if you are coming into a dock for example and you shift the throttle into neutral, there is no jet force to turn the boat to use for steering.

I've seen this numerous times when dumb kids on Jet Ski's come into the dock and let off the throttle before the dock then try to turn and it won't turn.... and WHAM they hit the dock or another boat.

Other disadvantages are less power, more fuel usage. Their intakes also suck up trash like garbage bags which wrap around the impeller, etc.

The only advantage they have is lower clearance and no prop to damage.

Only advantage I can see is that there is no prop.

First off, Medic 1687 did a fantastic job of explaning the differences. Good Job!

Since most of the information has been covered, I thought I would throw out one other suggestion. Our team utilizes a Sea Doo Explorer. It is a cross between a jet ski and an inflatable. They are extremely fast and stable. A friend of mine has a personal unit which I used for recreation and I can tell you they are virtually impossible to dump or flip due to the bladder on the outside of the ski.

We managed to pick ours up at a government surplus disposal yard. The biggest drawback (same with a jet outboard), no throttle, no steering.

Just throwing it out as a option. Depending on just how shallow of water you are talking, the Explorer may be too heavy and deep.

Dan

I'm sure this is old news to experienced Jet boaters, but it's fairly easy to control a jet powered craft at low speeds, it just requires a different technique.

It you need to turn with the throttle "off" just turn the wheel to the maximum stop (i.e. either full port or full starboard) and "burp" the throttle. It's like steering with thrusters. It takes a little practice, and at first seems counter-intuitive, but soon becomes second nature.

(2 or more short throttle pulses are much better than one pulse that is belatedly determined to be toooo long :D)

You do need a responsive throttle, and motor that does not stall when repeatedly "pulsed"

This also works pretty good for any directional prop vessel, i.e. outboard or outdrive.

Regards,

Tobin

bridgediver:
First off, welcome!

I'd also like to know more about this pitch fork idea. It sounds great! Do you think it would work for jet motors? We've got a couple of really weedy lakes where we're always sucking weeds up.

Mark

Bridgediver,
The guys in the eastern part of VA. didn't have any ideas on controlling the weeds being pulled into the intake. They did say that if someone has a suggestion, they would be happy to try it. They have the same problems that you described.
Medic1657

Hey thanks for all the great info about this subject . We were tossing around the Idea of getting a jet motor for our zodiac , the motor we have on it now is a 40horse Johnson and we want to keep the small motor size just for the chance that we have to carry the boat to launch it , which we have had to do . I hadnt seen the composite props before so that is something that we will be looking at for sure ..... Thanks again.............

medic1657:
Bridgediver,
The guys in the eastern part of VA. didn't have any ideas on controlling the weeds being pulled into the intake. They did say that if someone has a suggestion, they would be happy to try it. They have the same problems that you described.
Medic1657

Yep. Common problem I'm sure. Thanks for looking into it though

How about a mesh-covered skeg type thing to go over it? Imagine an inverted cattle guard off the front of an old train, and instead of angle iron on it, have mesh. And obviously much smaller.

Jets work by sucking up lots of water, if you block it too much they won't work. Thats why they don't come with something like that. Good idea though.

Ah. I see. I would suggest larger mesh but then the weeds would go clean through it. Hmm.

Im sticking with my suggestion about a stump jumper. Sounds like a smaller boat.

Back
Top Bottom