Jellyfish party!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sintax604

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was with a group diving Lookout Point last night and we came across and incredible display of jellies. As soon as we descended (at the point) we saw a school(?) of adult moon jellies numbering in the thousands. There were about 6 jellies per square meter all 6-10" in diameter. They extended as far as we could see from about 30-50' in depth.

It was an amazing experience. Does anybody have a clue as to what they would be doing? Wikipedia says they mate all year round so I'm assuming this wasn't a once a year orgy. Also, they were clearly mature jellies, not a bunch of fresh spawn.

Last edited:
I think that the marine scientists are still puzzled by the causes of Jellyfish blooms. Apparently it's a complex process dependent upon water temperature, currents, plankton and O2 concentration. It's really cool that you were able to see one!

I've seen more big jellyfishes at Lookout Point than anywhere else around Vancouver - they somehow likes this place. I took this pic at Lookout Point last year...

PICT0018.JPG

That video turned out great! Waaay easier than still photos eh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom