Jellyfish and vinegar versus coke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h90

Contributor
Reaction score
just reading the rescue diver book and they recommend vinegar in case of jellyfish tentakels.
On the dive boats I have been I never saw vinegar.
My first idea was: would a lemon help (sour)? I guess yes
Would coke instead of vinegar help. Coke is pretty sour, but you don't feel it due to the sugar. But is it strong enough?
Any experiences?

They suggest vinegar for the acidic value. I am pretty sure Cola will not help in this case the citric acid in soda is not stong at all. I believe urine would be of more help than the soda pop. Back in my water skiing days we always kept a bottle of Bactine on the boat for jelly fish encounters. It contains Lidocaine which is a pain reliever.

Stick to the salad dressing and use the coke for a mixer after the dive. :wink:

Gary D.

Lots of folks have a small container with vinegar in the first aid or sav-a-div kit for these occasions, don't go looking through the galley for it. I find asking about first aid resources of the boat during the brief answers many questions.

As Dectek indicated, if vinegar isn't available urine is useful.

If you do look in the galley, remember that there are other things that have vinegar in them, as I was reminded not too long ago by an instructor of mine who took a sting. Effective, though he did look a little funny walking around the boat deck with green relish on his upper lip. :)

Urine works too. Male urine is considered sterile, whereas female is not due to the higher possibility of urinary tract infections.

Peeing on a stung bit of skin won't do much to relieve suffering, and you'll suffer some odd stares, too. Try ocean water instead

Coke is fairly acidic PH about 2. If it's the acid that works, that should do it. My dentist said that in dental school, they would put extracted teeth in coke and they would dissolve in 24 -48 hours!

Interesting question. I could not find a definitive answer.

A January 2006 Alert Diver magazine article points out that stings from different species respond to different treatments. Vinegar or rubbing alcohol was suggested, depending on local knowledge.

In this article: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=96
DAN also suggests ammonia or baking soda (which are alkaline, not acidic), or even meat tenderizer. It cautions against fresh water whose reduced salinity can trigger stinging cells still on the skin. Salt water flushing is OK.

Then there are commercial treatments, like Sting Stop, but they are more for symptom relief than neutralization.

If none of the above were available, Coke (phosphoric acid) or lemon (citric acid), both with pH similar to vinegar (acetic acid), seem worth a try. Nice creative thinking, h90.

Urine can be mildly acidic, but it can also be mildly alkaline, depending on such things as how recently you’ve eaten. Its salinity can also be similar to fresh water. It would be my last choice, even without considering social issues.

Back
Top Bottom