Jasper-advanced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eat my Bubbles:
I have been dwon to 110' before while in Hawaii. Did the Mahi, airplane canyons, LCU, etc, which were all deep. So I know I can handle the deeper dives, I just wanted the certification so that I am 'allowed' to go on deep dives.
I wasn't questioning your actual experience -- just the level of instruction. It seems to me to be a bit of a cop-out for them to use the theoretical depths to convince you that it's a "deep" dive.

Personally, I haven't seen ANY notes in PADI texts about OW being limited to a certain depth, nor AOW, nor Deep Specialty giving any additional leeway. We're all certified to dive to the recreational limit of 130'.

I do applaud you for getting your AOW -- it is a great step, and it helps continue the learning process, for sure. I'm just curious as to where these concepts are coming from -- is OceanSports saying you need to be AOW to go beyond 60' (or 100')?

KrisB:
is OceanSports saying you need to be AOW to go beyond 60' (or 100')?
No. Its from PADI 60' for OW...100ft for AOW....130 for deep diver specialty.

KrisB:
I'm just curious as to where these concepts are coming from -- is OceanSports saying you need to be AOW to go beyond 60' (or 100')?

You must be new. These concepts have been around as a selling point for the 25+ years I've been diving and possibly longer. They are not specific to Ocean Sports or any other LDS or agency I've ever darkened the doors of.

nadwidny:
You must be new. These concepts have been around as a selling point for the 25+ years I've been diving and possibly longer. They are not specific to Ocean Sports or any other LDS or agency I've ever darkened the doors of.
Not new enough to have not heard *of* them.

But still new enough for no one to have been able to show (or tell) me where in PADI's texts it says this. :)

Eat my Bubbles:
Diane-from Ocean sports: I can't remember her last name, I'd have to look it up in my log book.
You got a good one. She's one of the better instructors at Ocean Sports.

Eat my Bubbles:
Diane-from Ocean sports: I can't remember her last name, I'd have to look it up in my log book.

Ungarian. I've never met her but I know she's been around a long time and has a good reputation.

Eat my Bubbles:
Not hte nicest by far, but definetly the best
LOL...Yep. She did my brothers confined water stuff.

KrisB:
Personally, I haven't seen ANY notes in PADI texts about OW being limited to a certain depth, nor AOW, nor Deep Specialty giving any additional leeway. We're all certified to dive to the recreational limit of 130'.

I did my OW with SSI, so I don't have an OW PADI book, but my PADI AOW book states:

"As a new Open Water Diver, 18 metres/60 feet marks the depth limit to which you're qualified to dive. This limit isn't arbitrary -- it's based on no decompression limits, nitrogen narcosis and air supply ... The Deep Adventure Dive [of your AOW course] will ... [qualify] you to dive as deep as 30 metres/100 feet, in conditions as good as or better than those in which you have training and experience."

- ChillyWaters

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom