Japanese Giant Salamanders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donsilcock

Contributor
Reaction score
These rather strange but quite unique creatures live in rivers across western and south-western Japan.

As its common and Latin names (Andrias japonicus) suggests… They are an endemic species of Japan that are both protected under Japanese federal legislation and formally nominated as a special natural monument because of their cultural and educational significance.

Japan_16_Aug_D02_456_nik2_logo_750.jpg

The Japanese giant salamander is indeed quite large, reaching up to 1.5m in length and 25kg in weight. Which together with their large mouth and rather strange features gives them a fairly formidable presence - at least when you first come face to face with them!

They are not the easiest creatures to find or photograph and a local guide is basically essential as you are very much in rural Japan where very few people speak English...

I have used the last several months of being hunkered down in Sydney to completely update my website and wanted to share the updates to the Japanese giant salamander pages.

Japan_16_Aug_D02_130_nik2_logo_750.jpg

Here is the link to Guide to the Japanese Giant Salamander

Hi Jim, my trip was Ito san and it was to the Gifu area a couple of years ago.

Don
Cool...I've never done the trip myself, but one of my DM students has done it numerous times.

I really enjoyed the whole thing Jim!
Yes, It's quite a unique experience and what a unique creature as well. I'll have to get up there someday soon...
Thanks for posting!
J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom