Japanese diver missing in Anilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The area right in front of Aqua and Sunbeam is a sandy area. At 80 feet (descending with Aqua "at your back") you'll find a helicopter wreck (frog fish, turtle and lone barracuda are major ones sighted) and beyond that nothing but sand again. Its also a training dive site for AOW/Rescue (navigation, deep dive, lost diver).

I'm sorry to hear about the guy, but it's quite obvious how negligence played a part in this whole tragedy. 30m on a sandy slope doesn't sound much of a recreational dive to me. There wasn't even any mention of current during the dive, so aside for hitting the 30m depth there didn't seem to be any other concern before the incident happened.

And then there are the reports that say a diver "ran out of OXYGEN". Seriously, can't any of these reporters get their facts straight after all these years?

Do the math.....
Probably......the poor fella had nothing to go back to in Japan and took his own life . Ya think? It is sad. We must be better aware of our diving buddy's disposition.

Last edited:
Do the math.....
Probably......the poor fella had nothing to go back to in Japan and took his own life . Ya think? It is sad. We must be better aware of our diving buddy's disposition.

That was the first thought that ran through my mind...

Hmm. This isn't what we heard from our side of town.

1. Diver went missing at around 3pm- Yes, but up until around 7-8pm that day, we only heard rumors. No search and rescue call, no official report. Sunbeam's boats were seen circling the area.

2. From what I've heard, they were already on their way up when the diver turned back towards the deep, where the dive guide did not follow him due to lack of air.

3. The dive was right in front of Sunbeam, and its mostly sandy.

4. Help was sought only the day after at around 9AM after the boats were seen again circling the area, wherein Daniel's help was finally sought, where the body was recovered after lunch.

We saw the body recovered, the only strange thing was the diver's right hand was raised, like he was still holding on to something.

Like mentioned earlier, we'll probably never know...

Hi guys, I was in Anilao few days ago.

Somebody reported me about a suicide because the diver lost lots of relatives/parents because of the recent japan earthquake/tsunami.

Rumors ? I really don't know, this is only what I've heard about this fact.
Reported also that the diver specifically informed the guide to let him alone in case he had gone deeper than him. :shakehead:

Hi guys, I was in Anilao few days ago.

Somebody reported me about a suicide because the diver lost lots of relatives/parents because of the recent japan earthquake/tsunami.

Rumors ? I really don't know, this is only what I've heard about this fact.
Reported also that the diver specifically informed the guide to let him alone in case he had gone deeper than him. :shakehead:

A similar thing happened to an instructor / guide friend of mine some years back - a guy facing debilitating illness took his own life (suicide note found later), by swimming off without warning at the deepest point of a Deep Air Dive and just heading down, down , down.

My friend tried to chase him, had to give up, and caught a pretty bad DCS hit as a result. He claims he can't dive anymore as a result of the hit, but a close friend of his and mine told me that he doesn't dive because he can't face it.

How ****ing sad all around.

Trully very sad. :( But if true, also very selfish. No forethought about the effects on the dive guide after he's gone, as in your example Larry. Things to think about...

A similar thing happened to an instructor / guide friend of mine some years back - a guy facing debilitating illness took his own life (suicide note found later), by swimming off without warning at the deepest point of a Deep Air Dive and just heading down, down , down.

My friend tried to chase him, had to give up, and caught a pretty bad DCS hit as a result. He claims he can't dive anymore as a result of the hit, but a close friend of his and mine told me that he doesn't dive because he can't face it.

How ****ing sad all around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom