January 2019 Roll Call

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is everyone taking for a wetsuit? I am VERY warm blooded and don't get cold easily. I am thinking about just taking my 1mm suit and maybe adding a beanie.

Any real need for a 3mm in 79ish degree water for those of us well insulated?
I'm taking my 3/2 AND my sharkskin jacket AND a beanie. I don't know that I will wear all three of them, but I'll be in the 3/2 at the least, and expect to add at least one of the other two by day three. In the past I have been comfortable in my 3/2 in December, which is barely warmer, but I get cold later in the week. Last June, I was in my sharkskin jacket and board shorts all week and I was cold by day four. I'm a mid-westerner, but I'm not very well insulated, so I probably don't compare well.

I've seen bigger guys in shorts and t-shirt in December and they haven't been complaining.

Bringing my 5 and a 3 with a vest and a Beannie. Planning on the 3 and a vest for my 1st dive and the 5 and a vest for the 2nd dive. Boat coat on SI. I get cold very easily.

I've seen bigger guys in shorts and t-shirt in December and they haven't been complaining.

I was the guy doing all the pool work in a tshirt and swimsuit. I wore my 1mm once in July at 84deg water and was close to too warm, kept flooding the suit to cool off.

Wore a rental 5mm for OW checkouts in a natural springs and could have probably gone 3mm.

Heard the water is 78-79 in Coz these days.

I was the guy doing all the pool work in a tshirt and swimsuit. I wore my 1mm once in July at 84deg water and was close to too warm, kept flooding the suit to cool off.

Wore a rental 5mm for OW checkouts in a natural springs and could have probably gone 3mm.

Heard the water is 78-79 in Coz these days.
I’m in Coz now and done 4 days of diving so far. Computer has said 80-82 on most dives. That being said it feels a bit colder at least to my family particularly on the second dive.

I always wear a 3mm full wetsuit even for summer diving in Caribbean and i’ve also been wearing my 3mm vest underneath it this week. My older son who typically wears a Sharkskin jacket and swimsuit did that on the first day and after that he was happy to hear we also packed his 3mm full wetsuit which he’s worn every day since. My wife is typically the one who gets cold first but she’s been good all week in her normal setup which is a sharkskin full suit.

We are going to Cozumel on the 23rd by cruise ship and have Living Underwater booked. But there's only 2 of us so far and they need 4 minimum. Hoping they get their min!

Great diving today with Liquid Blue! 80 degree water, a perfect dive day. Met Jaeger62 on the boat...nice guy from Texas! Always nice to meet folks from scubaboard face to face!

What is everyone taking for a wetsuit? I am VERY warm blooded and don't get cold easily. I am thinking about just taking my 1mm suit and maybe adding a beanie.

Any real need for a 3mm in 79ish degree water for those of us well insulated?

Always err on the side of too much wetsuit. I used to dive a 3mm full suit in Coz in the winter. I would usually be tired and need a nap after a morning two-dive trip. My last trip I switched to a 5mm and I had no fatigue issues.

Mild hypothermia is very sneaky... in my case it just sapped my energy, even though I didn't really feel cold. Fatigue (especially if it's hypothermia induced over the course of the week) can contribute to DCS risk. Pay attention to how you feel after each day of diving and suit up accordingly. Better to have a bit too much suit instead of a bit too little.

Head cover, 1mm full and I'll bring my Lavacore long sleeve shirt if I feel a chill.
In the air tomorrow, work stuff till a Thursday afternoon luncheon. Then bus ferry to the Island. I should get there around 3ish. I can't wait to be under the Palapa drinking a ice cold Sol at the Villa Thursday afternoon... I'll be blowing Happy Bubbles Friday morning with Ken and Sallye. See ya' soon!

I got 81 on one computer and 82 on the other yesterday. It felt a bit cooler than that on the second dive, though. I was in my full 3/2 and I think I need to throw my sharkskin under it for tomorrow (not diving today). I was quite cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom