Jamaica - who to dive with, and where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDebbie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
My boyfriend and I are booked to Jamaica for a week over New Year's. I've been doing some searches for advice on diving there, but haven't found much, or it's been fairly negative. We realise this isn't exactly a dive destination, but our plan for this trip is mainly to relax on the beach, at an all-inclusive, with a little diving thrown in. The package price was great, and it's difficult to find flights to the Caribbean from Vancouver that don't make a million stops. It's not meant to be a hard-core dive 3 or 4 times a day dive trip, or we would have gone somewhere like Bonaire again, where there's nothing else to do. So, please spare me the suggestions of going somewhere else. It's booked and we are excited about going somewhere hot and sunny where the water is warm and clear instead of cold and murky.
We'll be staying in Montego Bay, so would like some advice on who to dive with there? We would consider a day trip to Negril or Ocho Rios, but only if it really is worth it. I've read a few reviews in other places, and so far it seems like Scuba Jamaica is getting the best rating. However it doesn't seem like there is one definite must dive location, but I'm not sure if they dive or pick up out of Montego Bay?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Hi Debby,

Long as you have your scuba expectations properly adjusted and take normal tourist precautions, you should enjoy yourself.

On balance, MoBay diving is as good as any around the island and has unarguably benefited from the relatively recent Protected Areas Resource Conservation Project (PARC). Don't miss a site called Widowmaker's Cave. Negril diving also has some high spots, like The Throne Room.

Have fun.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Thanks Doc. I think maybe I'd like to do a day to Negril and check it out. It's not that far, right?.. 2 or 3 hours? On Maui we had a car and drove all over (everyone does), but I think in Jamaica we'd take a tour bus or taxi.

So any recommendations on who to dive with?

Hey Debbie,

MoBay to Negril is just a bit over 50 miles. You pass thru/by lots of small towns and it's not the Transcanadian Highway, but you can easily do it in 1 1/2 hours. Air Jamaica Express also flies it, but r/t for both of you probably would run ~$275-$300.

In MoBay, check out North Coast Marine Sports.

In Negril, check out Negril Dive Center and Sun Divers.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

Hi Debbie,
I have gone to Negril the past two winters for a week and had a great time. For me, it was a warm weather vacation in the middle of a cold MI winter that also had some diving. From all I have read, the diving is best in Negril. I would make the trip for a day from MB. There are some nice cliff side restaurants for dinner as well.
As far as diving....well it was a 5 on a 10 scale. The reef was pretty nice in some areas with great coral overhangs and dead in others. They have overfished the area and you won't see a lot of larger fish. But I have seen numerous pods of dolphins, nurse sharks, lots of turtles, stingrays and a host of various common reef fish. The water is in the 80's, so a skin or 3mil will do. Vis was also 80-100. Some current times.
We stayed at a Couples resort and just dove on their boat so I can't comment on a dive op. The resort by the way was great, had one of the best beaches I have been on and the people are very nice.

Good luck and have fun.

B.C.

A taxi from MoBay to Negril will cost $40-60 and take 1 hour. The diving in Negril is very nice, easy diving. We always see cool creatures and corals. Many turtles and moray eels. I've dived around Negril the last 4 years and it is very nice but not fabulous. My favorites are (in order) The Arches, The Throne Room, Green Island Wall, and the Deep Plane.

I strongly recommend SunDivers... Myron and Emilee will take good care of you. Their shop is located at Point Village Resort before you get into Negril.

While you are in Negril check out dining on the cliffs at sunset at either Xtabi or Rockhouse. It will be unforgetable!

Jamaica gets beaten up alot for its diving. I've dove both Runaway Bay (just west of Ocho Rios) and Negril. Negril is better, and maybe by far. We saw virtually everything we hoped to see, just not much of them (except sea cucumbers and yellow stingrays). We had the pleasure of watch a spotted eagle ray, southern ray, a pod of bottle nose dolphins not just swim by, but stop by and put on a little show, yellow tail eel, spotted drums of all ages and schools of creole wrasses. Viz was 100 +/- on each of our dives.

Thanks for all your input. If we venture out of Montego Bay it will be to Negril rather than Ocho Rios.
Del Mo - People can beat up Jamaica diving all they want. It doesn't bother me. The water will be warmer and clearer with more to see than here, so it's all good. I'm looking forward to the sun shining instead of all this non-stop rain, storms, flooding, power outages ...not to mention the boil water advisories! This winter has been brutal so far and it's not even December yet! ..so ....36 days and counting :)

My personal experience is that the water and beaches in Negril are nicer than in Ocho Rios. The waves in Negril are pretty minimal though, if that's important. But the water was crystal clear that you could see the bottom 100' deep below you standing on the back of the boat.

The diving in Negril was good in my opinion. I'd heard the diving in Jamacia sucked, but this was not the case. The number of fish on the reef were not as numerous as the marine reserves in the FLorida Keys by any means though, but still decent.

Have they finally finished paving the road to Negril? When I was there last (5 years ago) it was still a dirt pig trail that they were trying to make some attempt to do work on. It' was a 1.5 to 2 hour drive from Mo Bay to Negril.

Ocho Rios was a 2.5 to 3 hour drive. It's all paved roads, but they are pretty bad still. Max speed maybe 45 to 50 mph.

Hope that helps.

-mike

The road to Negril is done, except the bridge at Lucea which was washed out during the hurricane a couple of years ago. It is a one lane temporary bridge now. With a good driver and no "beer" stops, it takes 1-1.25 hours from MoBay.

Yes, I think diving around Jamaica is better than most give credit for. The water is warm and very clear, the corals are in good shape in most areas with plenty of pretty soft corals, and the sea life is good. I almost always see turtles and rays, plenty of moray eels, large schools of Creole Wrasses and Grunts, and lots of small creatures. The downside is that the other fishes are pretty thin, like parrot fish or angels.

You have a great time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom