Jamaica - Negril - Sandals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've done Couples Negril diving (we prefer Couples to Sandals) this last summer. Loved the turtles, lots of rays, different species of fish from what we see in the CA waters. Love diving the 84 degree water (at 70 feet down) with 100'+ vis. The only thing that was discouraging about the all-inclusive resort dives is you don't get to dive your own table. Everyone goes down together, stays together and as soon as one person hits 1000psi, everyone comes up together. Fortunately, most of the dives I went on had DM+ skill level (I was usually the newbie of the group), but I was usually still surfacing with 1600+ psi on an AL80.

But I got 10 dives in, so that was nice....really spoiled me for cold water diving again.

From what I understand, Negril has nicer diving than Mo' Bay and Ocho Rios due to the differences in tourism...Negril isn't as touristy as the other two cities, so there's more to see as less has been damaged.

Hope this helps!

This is a little off the original Negril topic, but it looks like a few people who know all the area Sandals resorts have posted. I'll be at the Sandals Inn in Montego Bay in April, but will have to go to another of the local Sandals for Diving. Anyone know if either of the others (Royal Caribbean vs. Sandals Montego Bay) should be preferred for diving? Are they completely separate dive ops or do they combine trips anyway? Do both offer the same basic dive schedule, boats, etc?

I am a moderately experienced, frequent diver and have read enough posts to lower my expectations a little, but want to get wet with the better dive op if there's a difference. I'll use it as an opportunity to hang out and enjoy the other resort amenities while there as well. I want to just pick one or the other and develop a relationship for a few days of diving. If all else is equal the Royal Caribbean looks like the better for other amenities.

I also hope to make a day trip over to Negril and enjoy the resort there. Is the diving different enough there to plan on including a dive that afternoon?

Thanks![/quote

I just came back from a 10 day trip to Jamaica. We split our stay between Sandals Negril and Sandals Royal Carribean, to simply vary the surroundings and the dive sites.

Last year, in march, I stayed at Royal Carribean and the dive boat was shared between Sandals Montego Bay and our resort. It made for a longer boat ride. I noticed that the group from the other resort was composed of younger divers who were more "on the party" I think it was during spring break. It made for a more crowded and noisy outing.

Now the resorts use different boats. The dive sites are the same and I can say that I have been satified with what I saw. The DMs will take the group according to it's composition. If it's formed of experienced people you will be taken to very interesting wall dives, a boat wreck "The tug boat", a swimtrough called the Widowmaker, the Throne Room and very impressive coral formations consisting of massive columns.

I would not bother with the 3 hour return bus ride (that you will have to pay for) to go to Negril to dive, the resort itself is very nice and the sunset is very romantic. The first dive is at 9 AM and the second about 11:30. Diving there is also very good but if you build a good contact with the dive team in Mobay you will have plenty there to enjoy

If you go to Royal Carribean say hello to David, Raymond and Shaq, real cool guys. Each resort has it's "flavor", I think it's more cosy there. Also...if it's possible consider changing your reservation to either Mobay or Royal, Sandals Inn is more like a regular motel, you have to cross the street to reach the public beach.

I hope you have a good stay there and feel free to PM me if you need more info.:D

Thanks! We decided on Sandals Inn because it has a lot of good reviews & the small resort is appealing, but mostly because it was less than half the price! :) Figured we cold enjoy the amenities of he others & save our cash. I appreciate the insights on the other resorts. I think I will stick with my instinct and use Royal Caribbean based on that. The Negril side trip was just for what you mentioned, the romantic different beach and famous sunsets. We'll probably just spend that day not diving.

You helped a lot.
Becky

Wife and I are going to Sandals Negril on March 8, and I really appreciate everyone giving an honest opinion. Your contributions will help us decide on where to dive and whether to dive with the resort.

Dane

Thanks! We decided on Sandals Inn because it has a lot of good reviews & the small resort is appealing, but mostly because it was less than half the price! :) Figured we cold enjoy the amenities of he others & save our cash. I appreciate the insights on the other resorts. I think I will stick with my instinct and use Royal Caribbean based on that. The Negril side trip was just for what you mentioned, the romantic different beach and famous sunsets. We'll probably just spend that day not diving.

You helped a lot.
Becky

We stayed at the Royal Decameron Montego Bay just over a year ago. The Sandals Inn was right beside/behind it. Sorry, not to discourage you, but it kinda looks like a little motel. It's a very tiny older resort and not directly on the beach. It is across the street from a public beach that gets absolutely jam-packed with local families. So unless you want to spend days around the small pool, you're best off planning to be off to another Sandals every day. I would go to Negril if I were you. We loved MoBay too, and the Decameron was a very decent option at an excellent price (all rooms have stunning views, private beach, etc.) But now that I've been to both MoBay and Negril, I must say that hands-down the beach, the sunsets and the diving are way better in Negril... and going to a Couples resort makes it hard to consider ever going anywhere else! Best resort we've ever been to. Anyway... you're already booked to stay at the Sandals Inn, so I'm just saying take advantage of being able to use the other Sandals and check them all out.

Hey Debbie: I've been to Couples Swept Away and enjoyed it a lot. Might I also suggest the RIU resorts? Last March I stayed at the RIU Tropical Bay and liked it more than CSA. There was more to do and see at the RIU. Food was fair (not as good as some of the other RIU's I've been at). Diving isn't included at the RIU's but, in Jamaica I went with a different outfitter (sundivers).

Nitrox is not yet available in Negril as of this writing. Breezes in RunAway Bay region offers nitrox.

Chuck

Back
Top Bottom