Jacket BCD vs. Backplate/Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is exactly the same situation when someone asks what kind of wetsuit they should get since they dive in 50F water. The drysuit people immediately start talking. For myself, I have one dive with a drysuit at 41F and I still do not believe how warm I was compared to my previous dives at 52F in a 7mm wetsuit with hooded vest.

I bought a BP/W but have yet to dive with it but the tank I bought is much more stable out of the water on the BP/W than on my BI BC. That is all I know so far but I believe that people that have dove both configurations are in a better position to judge than someone that has not.

I bought a BP/W but have yet to dive with it but the tank I bought is much more stable out of the water on the BP/W than on my BI BC. That is all I know so far but I believe that people that have dove both configurations are in a better position to judge than someone that has not.

With less than 24 dives showing in your profile, have you ever used a BP/W? I am not saying that a DS wearing 41 degree water diver shouldn't consider a BP/W when researching a BC purchase, but buying something you have never actually used seems "exactly like" the trust me dives the BP/W proponents often belittle. :idk:

Wow one can tell this is a touchy subject in diving. The thread is 3 days old and already over 160 replies :D

halemanō;5736092:
With less than 24 dives showing in your profile, have you ever used a BP/W? I am not saying that a DS wearing 41 degree water diver shouldn't consider a BP/W when researching a BC purchase, but buying something you have never actually used seems "exactly like" the trust me dives the BP/W proponents often belittle. :idk:

Not sure I understand where you are going with this? Most of the stuff I buy I have not used before purchase. If I limited myself only to stuff I am familiar with how would I ever experience something new?

With less than 24 dives in his profile, he has 2 options...purchase what he has rented before, or buy something brand new to him. Unless his LDS just turned over their rental stock I would bet they don't have the same models for sale...he has no choice but to buy something new in that case...jacket, bi or bp...

Wow one can tell this is a touchy subject in diving. The thread is 3 days old and already over 160 replies :D

Imagine if he had mentioned split-fins or Spare-Air?

:shocked2:

We had SpareAir "discussion" not too long ago, but not split fins recently. Perhaps after we have some rest from the BC "discussion," we'd need to revisit the fin issue again.

We had SpareAir "discussion" not too long ago, but not split fins recently. Perhaps after we have some rest from the BC "discussion," we'd need to revisit the fin issue again.

Would that not be a hoot to try and discuss in one thread all three topics! :D

Back
Top Bottom