Jacket BCD not weight integrated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chocoholic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Aloha All. I am looking for a Jacket BCD that is not weight integrated and I am having a hard time. Everything seems to be back inflate/wing and most everything is weight integrated. I am old school and I like to hang at different angles to take pictures so I don't want those weight pockets flaring out or down and messing with me. I also prefer jacket BCD. I have hips and like wearing my weight on an old school weight belt. Any suggestions?

They are out there. Here are the two that Aqualung sells.
Pro
Wave

I even have one of the Pro BCDs in size small that I ordered by mistake. PM me if you are interested, or want me to fix you up with a different size.

Thanks for the quick reply, I am currently researching those two online.
It's a Christmas present for myself (and kind of for my husband because then he doesn't have to shop for me if I buy for myself).

I shoot video at odd angles so prefer back-inflate since the bubble is much easier to control than in a jacket (it moves less front/back)

A traditional non weight integrated jacket is the Zeagle Base. The name is inidicative of the price/features.

Their Scout model is a low-cost non-weight integrated back inflate model.

You can also buy the Express Tech Deluxe - a modular soft backplate back-inflate model without any weight system.

www.zeagle.com

For warm water/travel use - I believe the Aqualung Zuma is also available without the weight pocket add on. Back-inflate also.

I've changed my mind and I am getting a goPro Hero 7 for myself for Christmas.
Then I will keep researching and get myself a new BCD for my birthday!! Yay. I have been searching for awhile and I am just going to stick with my current BCD and use a weight belt for now.

I also take photos at varying angles and prefer a weightbelt. I had a weight-integrated BC for a couple of years but it had problems with weight pockets falling out and although it was touted as a "tech" BC, the weight of doubles ripped it apart twice.
Nearly twenty years ago I went back to my diving beginnings and switched to a backplate/wing. Not only does it spread the weight more evenly but the stability is something a jacket BC could never achieve. I can go head down or face up without the tank shifting. I can walk on land without the tank pulling itself down to my butt or hitting my legs. There is no way I would ever photograph in a jacket BC again. It's hard enough to hold a camera still without a shifting tank adding to the movement.

I've changed my mind and I am getting a goPro Hero 7 for myself for Christmas.
Then I will keep researching and get myself a new BCD for my birthday!! Yay. I have been searching for awhile and I am just going to stick with my current BCD and use a weight belt for now.

Good choice.

For your future research. I use an Aqualung Axiom for teaching and occasional fun diving. IT does have Integrated weight pockets, but I never use them. Most of my weight goes into my rear trim pockets, and the rest on a conventional weight belt.

It's not a proper back inflate, I'd say by feel that its a hybrid. but I have no issues with trim etc no matter how its rigged. I've used it with a single Al 80 through to a HP 120 steel, even slung a couple of deco cylinders on it to make a dive.

So just an option.

You don't have to utilize the weight pockets if you buy a new BC. Better yet, you can load lost-at-sea emergency items in one weight pocket and carry it on a dive and just leave the other at home. You'll free up your normal BC pockets for other things.

I was diving the aqualung rogue, its a back inflate and is integrated, but the weights sit behind you. No dangle, basically above your kidneys. I liked it a lot.

Back
Top Bottom