Jacket BC or Wing BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most will be slower, due to more drag inherent in the less streamlined form of the vest.

This is a perfect example of the sloppy typing prevalent in threads of this ilk!

It is a valid statement ONLY if you include some form of IN YOUR OPINION.

Without IMO, it is an ignorant statement because it is stated as fact when there are no facts to be found. :shakehead:

One could say that your personal BP/W rig w/ 18# wing feels more streamlined than say an Oceanic Probe that you tested 10 years ago, but without measured data it is just a feeling.

One can not say BP/W's are inherently more streamlined than Vest's, because some BP/W's look like this....

My trim and buoyancy in 2m of water are awesome however Halemano.

halemanō;5735508:
Spot On IMHO!

It's because I'm using a BP/W and not rubbish like a jacket BC. :wink:

halemanō;5735311:
One can not say BP/W's are inherently more streamlined than Vest's, because some BP/W's look like this....

I see where you're going here, but you've got to make sure you're comparing apples to apples, oranges to oranges, and so on. At first glance, the main things causing this diver to look "not streamlined" are...

• Hose Routing - Hoses are routed somewhat oddly, and many of them are too long. I wish that this was the worst hose routing I've seen, or that it was significantly different from any number of jacket-users' rigs I've seen. Not really an issue with the BP/W at all (and please note that the long hose is the most streamlined/well-placed of all the hoses on that diver :)).
  • Computer hanging down a bit - Looks like a SmartCom on a retractor. You're not seriously going to claim that as an issue with a BP/W, are you?
  • Really full, taco'd wing - Judging by the size of the wing, this is a potential sign of overweighting. Almost certainly, the wing is too big. Then again, have you looked at the lift capacity of a Scubapro Classic?! It's ridiculous. Given our backgrounds, I'm sure we can both confidently say that this is a training/experience issue, not an issue with the type of BC being used. That said, the BP/W when fully inflated still presents a small profile when trimmed horizontally, whereas a jacket will tend to distribute the inflation along both axes.

Beyond that, I see a diver with a very streamlined torso area, a stable tank, and a wing that's still presenting a very small portion of its overall surface area in the horizontal plane.

What am I missing?

I see where you're going here, but you've got to make sure you're comparing apples to apples, oranges to oranges, and so on. At first glance, the main things causing this diver to look "not streamlined" are...

• Hose Routing - Hoses are routed somewhat oddly, and many of them are too long. I wish that this was the worst hose routing I've seen, or that it was significantly different from any number of jacket-users' rigs I've seen. Not really an issue with the BP/W at all (and please note that the long hose is the most streamlined/well-placed of all the hoses on that diver :)).
  • Computer hanging down a bit - Looks like a SmartCom on a retractor. You're not seriously going to claim that as an issue with a BP/W, are you?
  • Really full wing - Judging by the size of the wing, this is a potential sign of overweighting. Given our backgrounds, I'm sure we can both confidently say that this is a training/experience issue, not an issue with the type of BC being used. That said, the BP/W when fully inflated still presents a small profile when trimmed horizontally, whereas a jacket will tend to distribute the inflation along both axes.

Beyond that, I see a diver with a very streamlined torso area, a stable tank, and a wing that's still presenting a very small portion of its overall surface area in the horizontal plane.

What am I missing?

The picture is of me from 2009. I was 8lb overweighted in this photo as I had just switched from a jacket to a BP/W and this was one of my first dives in it. I also have not removed my drysuit hose, not changed BC hoses (the inflator is much shorter on this than my old BC) and was using a console at the time.

And, And, And,...... the lass obviously has horrible buoyancy control, you can tell because the tip is missing from one finger of her glove.

And no, I don't have to say in my opinion, I wrote it, it's obviously my opinion.

Just as, if I say, "a released stone will always fall," is always a fact, even if I don't write it, & no one hears it.

PS. actually the bit about the fingertip is also a fact, I'm a G.O.D., I know these things.

The picture is of me from 2009. I was 8lb overweighted in this photo as I had just switched from a jacket to a BP/W and this was one of my first dives in it. I also have not removed my drysuit hose, not changed BC hoses (the inflator is much shorter on this than my old BC) and was using a console at the time.

Well, there you go. :)

...and like you said, your trim was very nice. :D

Well, there you go. :)

...and like you said, your trim was very nice. :D

:)

Actually to me 'streamlining' is not what I am going for in a BP/W given I barely move on a dive, which is why I have the 32lb wing even though it is too large for the single tank diving I do - it was the cheapest (my jacket BC had 40lb of lift though...). It's nice (and I have found all the BP/Ws I have tried more streamlined than the jacket BCs I have tried), however the main benefit of the BP/W to me is the stability of the tank, which I have never even come close to in a jacket BC. Trim I do not find noticeably different between jacket BC and BP/W now that I am experienced. When I was new and first tried a BP/W it definitely compensated a lot and helped me trim out more easily, however.

Back
Top Bottom