Ixtapa - Zihuatanejo Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kat

Contributor
Reaction score
We fly stand-by, and usually I can tell by the seat inventory that I'll be able to go. Not this time. The flight departed at 4PM on Saturday & only had 2 open seats in coach. My back up plan was Cancun, it had 7. At about 12:30P I had not booked a hotel yet, because I didn't know where I was going. I decided to gamble on ZIH & tried to book my hotel. Sold out. Panicing, I finally book a room at the Sotavento, on Playa La Ropa. It looked nice, but Trip Advisor had very mixed reviews. I did not have time to shop around, so I booked it. It was fairly cheap. $105 per night and included breakfast.
Airport & flight go great & we arrive at our hotel in ZIH at 10PM.
Check-in is a breeze. The bellman takes our luggage & we have dinner in the hotel restaurant. Our room is on the 3rd floor. After dinner we start heading upstairs, but the bellman stops us & shows us the way. We need to go downstairs. The ground floor lobby is on the 7th floor.
The room is pretty cool, no glass windows, just screens & a large veranda. The bathroom is yucky, clean but terribly run down. From our room it is 80+ stairs up to the restaurant and 100+ stairs down to the beach & pool. Whew, it's an aerobic workout! The view is amazing & the waves at night are so loud it's like a thunderstorm.

Sunday: We walk from our hotel into Zih centro to shop & sightsee and eat at some great little local restaurants.
Monday: Call Carlos at Carlos Scuba. We want to dive on Wed. Thurs. & Fri. Leave a message. We miss his return call & then he misses our return call.
Tuesday: Still have not talked to Carlos. Finally, someone actually is able to get his cell# for us & we are done with telephone tag.
Unfortunatly he only has one opening on his 6 pak boat. He says we should contact Ixtapa Aqua Paradise.
Wednesday: I am all grumpy, as I really wanted to dive with Carlos Scuba. It ends up we book with Ixtapa Aqua Paradise for Thurs. & Friday. Plus it's rehab day. No drinking the day before diving.
Thursday: Take a taxi to Puerto Mio & check in with the dive shop. There are 2 boats going out. Our boat actually has seven divers on it & 2 DM's. Our first dive is a deep dive at Solitary Rock. The vis is horrible at first. But as we get down to about 100+ it clears up. Not a very exciting dive. The other group saw a couple seahorses, so I am extra disappointed with my dive. We then head to a cove for our SI. The seas had been a little rough but the cove is nice & calm. Our 2nd dive is at Caleta de Chon. It's a terrific dive. Rays everywhere. Gazzillions of assorted fish, small coral formations, starfish, a seahorse. Unfortunalty, I am having trouble equalizing my ears & I have to end my dive early. That is the first time I have ever had ear problems on a dive.:sad_2:

We had a night dive booked, so we decide to walk to a local restaurant & have something to eat, instead of going back to the hotel. Our 1st stop is actually a bar, but we didn't know it at first. The girls spoke no english & my spanish is very poor. They only had beer to drink. The one girl went to a store & bought us some Cokes. We ordered chips & guacamole (sp?). My boyfriend does not like guacamole, but he loved this! It was fantastic. We did a little more walking & found a tiny restaurant where we had an amazing meal.

We returned to the dive shop for our night dive & were the only 2 divers booked. We dove Caleta de Chon again. No ear problems this time & the dive was amazing. I have done more than a few night dives, but this dive was one of my favorites, hands down. There was so much to see. Again, rays were everywhere. Lobster, crabs, squid...everything was out & so active. We were down for an hour, it was great.
Friday: We only booked two dive for our last diving day.
We had different divers on the boat than the previous day. There were 4 guys doing their Open Water Certs. I got to talk to them a little bit before & after the dives and they were really nice. They had a DM to themselves. There was 1 other diver, so the 3 of us had our own DM. Our 1st dive was at Pierdra de Sacramento. It was a nice dive, with plenty to see. The DM had mentioned turtles, but they were a no show. For the SI we went back to Caleta de Chon. Usually this would have ticked me off, diving the same place 3 x's in a row. But I had no problem diving it again, as I felt like there was so much to see. And I was right. I saw things I had not seen before.
Saturday: Our last day. Ahhh, where does the time go?

I wish we had dove more, more, more. Ixtapa Aqua Paradise was great! I would dive with them again. I would not call Ixtapa- Zih a dive destination, but if you are going there, be sure to dive. It was so much better than what I was expecting. And because of my low expectations I didn't make the diving a priority. Other than that it was a great vacation. Fantastic food, beautiful weather, picture perfect location & warm, wonderful people.

When you need things like a cell phone number, you are supposed to post it and ask. Did you finally get the xxx-9766 number?

BTW: Had you dived with Carlo Scuba before. They are great. Whenever I go there, they finally have to kick me out of the "shop" on the beach. I just enjoy hanging out there. ("Finally" means after several hours.)

Hi Bruce.
It was my 1st trip there. I had heard many good things about Carlos Scuba & did have my heart set on diving with him. I actually did not want to dive with Ixtapa Aqua Paradise (IAP), as I thought they were a cattleboat operation that catered to the cruise ships. I was very mistaken. It appears that there are only 2 cruise ships a week that come to ZIH, and that was not an issue. And they have small boats, so again, I was mistaken. I was very pleased with IAP. If I go back, it is nice to know that there are 2 very good dive ops to choose from. (Always nice to have a back-up plan)

ItsBruce:
Whenever I go there, they finally have to kick me out of the "shop" on the beach. I just enjoy hanging out there. ("Finally" means after several hours.)
The beer is cold, the conversation (and bar tricks) are exceptional- and the last boat across the bay leaves at 5pm, right? *Unless Thiere is willing to do a late ride.
Carlo Scuba gets major kudos for getting my wife to blow "discover" bubbles for the first time. She then punched her C card on our next trip- and is no longer a dive widow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom