Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo or Puerta Vallarta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
We had a trip to Cozumel planned in mid-Dec. and just got notice that the hotel and dive operation were damaged in Wilma, and expect to be "inoperable" for at least 3 months. Other info from Coz doesn't look like anything, including electricity, is either predictable or reliable right now, so I'm looking to go somewhere else. Our plane tickets on Frontier can be changed w/o charge, but I have to make a decision soon. Does anyone have any experience - comments - suggestions with diving - and accomodations - in either Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo or Puerta Vallarta?

Thanks ...

santafecelia:
We had a trip to Cozumel planned in mid-Dec. and just got notice that the hotel and dive operation were damaged in Wilma, and expect to be "inoperable" for at least 3 months. Other info from Coz doesn't look like anything, including electricity, is either predictable or reliable right now, so I'm looking to go somewhere else. Our plane tickets on Frontier can be changed w/o charge, but I have to make a decision soon. Does anyone have any experience - comments - suggestions with diving - and accomodations - in either Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo or Puerta Vallarta?

Thanks ...

Well...compared to Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta isn't in the same league, but it really is a nice place to visit and dive. I have done 3 trips to PV in the last 3 years and really enjoyed it. The water is a little colder on the pacific side, depending on what time of the year, so I always bring my 7mil wetsuit and I am very comfortable. Try www.pacificscuba.com.mx in my opinion, they are the best shop around in PV. The whole crew are all super nice and I would certainly recommend them without hesitation. Good luck, Brian

Scroll down to the bottom of this page, there are similar posts like yours
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=41985.
I did my very first dive in PV, so the excitment was the dive. PV is a very nice place to visit topside, jungle mountains and ocean all in one place. Would like to visit Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo someday soon, so if you go don't forget to post a report.
btw: welcome to ScubaBoard

Moved to Mexico Forum

Ixtapa is our home property, sharing it with my bride's parents. While BrianM is right that this region is not in the same league with Cozumel, (where we were during hurricane Wilma), I think you'll be happy with Ixtapa. Friends who've been at P.V. said it is extremely commercialized. You won't find that in Ixtapa's neighboring fishing town, Zihuatanejo. It's a great place, with what I found to be some interesting diving.
We hooked up with Carlo Scuba. It was my wife's first "resort dive," and she was well taken care of. So good, in fact, that she got certified on our next trip!
Expect lots of swim throughs, octopus, larger fish of many varieties, and in shallower water, some fun reefs.
Many good places to eat and shopping to your heart's content.
Enjoy.
Craig-

I have dove in Cabo last November. Vis was about 60-80 ft, temp high 70's. What is there not to like, whale sharks, sea lions, hammer heads and great food. We dove with underwaterdiversions. They took our gear and we never handled it again until we left.

I used to vacation on Mexico's Pacific coast until I decided to try Akumal and Cozumel.

As you go south from Cabo to PV to Ixtapa to Huatulco, the water gets warmer and warmer.
I was not a diver back when I used to vacation there, so I don't have that information.
However,
I found the water in Huatulco to be a bit too warm (90degrees), but lots of great coves and swimthroughs. Did a lot of snorkeling there, and it was excellent.
Ixtapa was incredible, as described above by ckofabq. Water is about 80 degrees, beautiful waves and sunsets.
PV was fun for Partying and restraunts, but very commercial, and water was around 75 degrees.
None of these places will exactly replace Coz, but you really can't go wrong! Have a great getaway!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom