Ixtapa April 18-25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubagrl

Reaction score
Was just presented with an opportunity to spend a week in Ixtapa for work....has anyone dove there? Specifically, I'm looking for a reputable dive operator, as well as info on water conditions and marine life. Thanks!

Uh, Mexico...just north of Acapulco.

Was in that region some time ago, before the massive development, and even then the diving was only so-so. Get periodic updates from sources & things not surprisingly haven't improved. Still, if you have a strong urge to submerge, I'd take your gear. If you can get to the more distant sites, there's a slim (very) chance of seeing a manta, and there is some small marine life on the sparse patch reef.

Forget Ixtapa diving---snorkeling off the Club Med beach is better. Go to Zihuatanejo to dive. Best ops in town are old (like real old by now) Owen Lee at Las Gatas and an ecologically-minded shop run by a chap with a strong marine biology background called Zihuatanejo Scuba Center.

Sorry that I couldn't be more enthusiastic.

DocVikingo

I've gotten such a mixed bag review about diving from everyone that I've spoken with about this trip, that I think the dive gear will stay at home this time. I'll probably bring mask/snorkel/fins, and if I end up in Zihuatanejo to dive I'll just rent gear.

Thanks Doc for your candor.....you're saving me the headache of schlepping an extra heavy bag with me for nothing!

...I've been talked into bringing my reg and computer, "just in case." I'll just rent a BC and wetsuit if I end up diving.

Will let ya'll know upon my return if I decided to get wet...

BTW, the temp in Milwaukee went from 87 degrees to about 40 in a matter of less than an hour on Tuesday....and is still lingering in the 30s and 40s. I'd say this trip is great timing, no? Gotta love spring!!!

Back
Top Bottom