I've got crabs...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkimFisher

Contributor
Reaction score
...no, not that kind :D

But I do have some questions about the approaching stone crab season. Is there a proper gauge for these critters - like a lobster gauge? If not, what's commonly used and where can I find one? DS only had lobster gauges.... :idk: What kind of gear is typically used?

No gauge needed, visit the FWC website and it lists the laws, regs, etc.. I just got back from a Crabbing seminar that suggested taking a crowbar with you and cutting a slit in it at the proper length. Nope, I am not revealing the length! I want you to read up on the regs on the FWC website! They are basic but necessary to know.

If you have an aluminium lobster guage, take a hacksaw and file, cut notches of appropriate distance apart, file the metal between the notches and you now have a combo guage. I carry my guage on one of those curly key lanyards you put on your wrist so it's always handy in the water yet still out of the way.

i have a gauge i picked up at a dive shop that has the cut-out for stone crabs on one side and florida lobster on the other. i think i paid $1 for it. i need to pick up one of those curly key lanyards to put it on for ease of use.

Yes a crowbar, for pulling along the rocks in strong current, moving rocks and digging, clinging to pilings, and as a blocking tool to keep a crab from getting deep into his hole. Note: you can't use anything to hook, puncture or harm the crab.

On the the slim end of a crowbar about 18" to 20" long you make a hacksaw cut that's 2.75" from the end. That's the end that you will get closest to the crab so you can learn what's legal size and above. Don't even mess with the ones that look borderline.

Unlike a lobster that doesn't fight much when you gauge him, you have to pin a stony's claws down in order to measure one and he's not going to cooperate... so it's not as precise as a lobster gauge.

Dive safe.

Chad

I hope you DIDNT put them on ice after they were collected. I have been told this makes the meat stick to the inside of the shell and much harder to get to.
I, of course, have never done this as I learned this from the seminar BEFORE the hunt!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom