I've been assimilated - and other stuff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Tried out two new focus lights in Morrison Springs today. They came with attachments for my mask so I put them on each side. It was still hard to focus in the dark cavern but I could spot more life with my new "headlights".

resistance.jpg

limestone.jpg

entryupper.jpg

condo.jpg

gg.jpg

Cool looking setup. I am a bit worry though. A barracuda once charged my divebuddy's light once. Luckily it was a handheld unit. Now I am paranoid about putting anything like that anywhere near my head :)

Hey Yoda, was wondering where you were! Wow the water is clear down there! In the one picture I see the two eels (those are eels, right?) But what is that down at 6 oclock?

justleesa:
...But what is that down at 6 oclock?

I wondered if anyone would see that guy - it's a catfish, and yes the others are eels.

The water in the lower cavern is almost always like tap water. The river nearby overflows when it rains and dumps tannic water in the top part of the spring so viz can vary greatly.

I've been busy with work and the weather and tides have been awful so this is the first dive in a while. I hope to be diving some more this weekend / beginning of next week. Looks like I've got a pile of work headed my way so I've got to stock up on my dives NOW!

ssra30:
Cool looking setup. I am a bit worry though. A barracuda once charged my divebuddy's light once. Luckily it was a handheld unit. Now I am paranoid about putting anything like that anywhere near my head :)
Lucky thing there are no barracuda in the fresh water springs here - might have to watch out for alligators though :D.

Nice :) I bet that really helps out in the cavern, its a bit of a hassle taking pics with a handheld light and trying to keep your bouyancy going down the restriction and over the vents in there :D

Nice to see you back in the water!

#3 has enormous potential to be a stunner...that's definitely a place I'd be checking out on each dive and experimenting with! Love it!

Just remember you have the headlights on - or you'll blind your buddy :wink:

It can be hard to get enough light when the visibility isn't perfect when photographing the cavern entrances at Morrison. I bought a crummy $10 tripod that I'm gonna rig up with some weights and use UW to keep the camera steady for a longer shutter speed.

I always find it a challenge to shoot from a dark cavern into a light entry way. Either the entry is too light or the cavern too dark. This one would look better if the water was clearer and we had not just stirred up the bottom a little on the way in. Multiple strobes hidden along the ledges might be cool - too bad I don't have even one :D.

We regret to inform you of the sudden and untimely demise of SeaYoda. The incident took place just a few miles offshore as he was on a nightdive, exploring a deep wall. Before anyone could react, the swarm of amorous Angler-fish attacked, completely engulfing his head and neck. The screams were nearly unbearable, as evidenced by our laughter at his predicament. Little did we realize how large the fishes' teeth were. In homage, we hold a five second moment of silence to be proceeded by the song, "Making love by moonlight" as sung by Phish-barrel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom