IVC contraindication to diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetWillie

Reaction score
I had a rough year last year. Spent a month in a comma and another 30+ days waking up and another 4 months with complications, learning to walk and final clearance from all of my problems. very long story.

Now I am cleared medically and am working out and in pretty good shape. I am interested in getting wet again. The problem/question, during all of my medical issues, an IVC filter was installed. It was initially suppose to be retrievable, as it is was used prophylactically, but because of complications a permanent filter was inserted.

This will be with me forever now. not really worried, more aggravated. but now a year later physically cleared and release from all medications, taking NO anticoagulants, should this be a concern for me for diving?

I am having very little luck in finding anyone who has both diving and medical expertise to give any idea on this. so i am reaching out to see if i can get some info from everyone :)

I am Tri-mix, full cave, and decompression certified, although i realize i am no where near ready to resume those types of diving activities. i would like to get back to some recreational 30-60 maybe even a little more 100ish ft.

All thoughts welcome :)

Hi Willie,

You may want to schedule an appointment with one of the diving/hyperbaric docs at Florida Hospital in Orlando. They can examine you in person and provide guidance. With the dearth of details and a medical history that's as seemingly complex as yours, that's a better bet than asking for advice here. PM me if you'd like a referral.

Best,
DDM

I doubt that you would able to find much, if any information about the impact of IVC filters on diving, as I would not expect the sets of divers and people with filters to have much of an intersection. But if the filter was put in prophylactically, and you never had a PE and are not on anticoagulants, I would think other facets of your original problem and recovery would have far more implications for suitability to dive than the filter itself would. (There really is nothing about being underwater that changes the function of an IVC filter.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom