It's official (ear problems)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MdMedic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well..it is official. As I mentioned before, I am dealing with ear issues after getting certified. After two different docs (one at an urgent care facility the other my GP), my ENT has informed me that I have a ruptured tympanic membrane (eardrum). She advises that my diving days are over (even before they really got started). After she attempts a non-invasive "fix", we will see how it heals. At that point I will re-evaluate my options. A second opinion might be in order. I really don't want to give up diving, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

At any rate, I wish you all safe travels and happy underwater times. I will look for you from the beach.

Don't give up too soon. My friend and dive buddy had a leaky ear drum. His ENT, who is a diver, performed surgery and took a piece of skin from my friends neck (behind the ear where it is soft) and implanted it in the ear. He hasn't dove with it yet, but the surgeon said all looks good and we're looking forward to some dives when the weather gets warmer.

You might consider PMing doctormike . . . I do not believe that a simple tympanic membrane perforation is a death sentence to diving. If you have an anatomic problem that precludes equalization, that's different. But new divers in particular make mistakes, and some of them end up with perforations. If the hole is small and heals well, I don't believe one cannot dive again.

Thanks for the quick reply. My ENT has scheduled something less invasive to start. What she called a "paper-patch". My understanding is that it is a paper like mesh she will attach to assist in the healing process. If that doesn't work, then surgical intervention is in the offing.

She recomends I not dive anymore because her opinion is that even if it heals properly, it will not have the structural integrity it once had.

I don't know. A second opinion will definately be sought if the "paper" thingy doesn't work. The shame of it is, this all happened while doing my original certification dives. I hate to think my dive career is over before it really gets started.

Anyone know a good Otologist in the Washington DC area?? I like my ENT, but I don't know how familiar she is with diving issues. Her advice is to quit diving. I hate to think that is my only option.

You might wan to call DAN 1-800-446-2671.
Good luck to you.

Anyone know a good Otologist in the Washington DC area?? I like my ENT, but I don't know how familiar she is with diving issues. Her advice is to quit diving. I hate to think that is my only option.

Hi MdMedic,
The hyperbaric facility at Inova Mt. Vernon Hospital in Alexandria recommended Dr. Michael Abadin. His office is right across the hall from the diving physician there so they consult one another frequently. Dr. Abadin's office number is (703) 313-7700.
Sentara Leigh hyperbarics uses Ear, Nose and Throat Limited in Norfolk. Their number is (757) 963-7486. I'd try Dr. Abadin first since he works closely with Mt. Vernon's patients and divers. Keep us posted, I'd be interested to hear what he has to say.
Best regards,
DDM

Is this a cool place to get good information or what?!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom