It's gonna be a long summer!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yotsie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last night (saturday) I was getting ready to head out the door to meet my parents and fiance at a pretty fancy restaurant when the pager goes off. I could tell right away it was a callout, and I was right. "Teenager thrown from boat after boating accident with no life vest".

Made it to the hanger, packed gear and was on scene at our local lake pretty fast. Department helo had finished it's search pattern and the boats were waiting for us. We have about an hour of light left so a quick pattern was ran around the point last seen.

The search is called after nightfall and we all met back this morning at 0700.

We get back onscene and set up a gps based grid and resume the search. Eight hours and six divers later, "code 3" (our term for a find) echos out of the surface comm. Our 18 year old, non-swimming, intoxicated male is located. The scene is investigated and the recovery made.

This subject was in a "Kmart Coffin" (small, cheap rubber raft) without a PFD on and reportedly intoxicated. Tries to row out to the 5MPH buoys, but decides to jump out of the raft to "walk" to the buoy. He is not seen again until 1600 hours when he comes up from 12 FFW in our bag.

Great operation with all members of the team getting things done without direction or much discussion, just everyone on the same page. Had to overcome some search pattern problems, but went off without a hitch.

Just as we located this one, we get an another page of another possible drowning on the other side of the lake. The second call ends up being a rescue completed by one of our boat crew and we wern't needed.

I'll be happy to be behind the wheel of my patrol car tomorrow. Hopefully my gear will get dry before the next one.

Welcome to summer! As sad as it is, were quickly getting right into our "busy season" here too. Take it easy, and be safe out there!

Yotsie:
I'll be happy to be behind the wheel of my patrol car tomorrow. Hopefully my gear will get dry before the next one.
Some people just don’t understand why I make statements like that every so often. I do love diving but these operations get real exhausting, real old, real fast.

It’s looking like quite a few of us are going to be quite busy for a while.

Congrats on a good safe operation.

Gary D.

ps: Can we borrow the bird? :D

Kayla:
Welcome to summer! As sad as it is, were quickly getting right into our "busy season" here too. Take it easy, and be safe out there!

Our team captain has already strongly "suggested" that during all holiday weekends we stay in town. That is when I usually get to do my fun diving. Looks like this summer I'll be sticking around home on those weekends.

Gary D.:
ps: Can we borrow the bird? :D

Not a chance buddy!!! :wink:

I thought they were big, expensive P.R. machines until we got a couple of pilots with game. Both military pilots and can get us and our gear in places I wouldn't even of dreamed of.

suthnbelle:
Our team captain has already strongly "suggested" that during all holiday weekends we stay in town. That is when I usually get to do my fun diving. Looks like this summer I'll be sticking around home on those weekends.

I strongly suggest that to all of our divers.. I also ask that if they are going to be in town that they keep their gear in their cars over the holiday weekends (Memorial weekend, 4th of July, Labor Day, etc) I dont think that we can ever be over prepared... and because of the way our contry is laid out, there is always going to be SOMEONE in the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom