It's Free! Really! Texans Only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cudabait

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Did you Know??

You can get free road assistance anywhere in the state of Texas! This is pretty good news for persons who break down or run out of gas in the middle of nowhere at 3AM in the pitch black dark.

All you have to do is turn your Texas Drivers License over and look right above the bar code. You will see in little bitty numbers a 1-800 number for roadside assistance.

It's true. If you are out on the interstate, or just about anywhere except inside an incorporated area, city, etc., you can call this number and get free help. Ladies, if you have a flat tire and can't get the lug nuts off, out of gas and any other such thing, you can call the 800 number and get help. Free.

The state will send a trooper or local county officer to your rescue. If you need a wrecker, the state will not pay for that but they will help you get one if needed. They will help you with other minor problems, take you to get gas and bring you back to you car, etc.

For more information, just turn your TDL over, call the 800 number and I think you will be pleasantly surprised to find out that you really can get something for you tax money here in Texas.

Regards,

Wow.....some good news! Thanks, Paul!

What was the response time like?

Never TRIED it, but have responded (as a deputy sheriff) to hundreds. But in reality, I have never gotten the call from the state - usually people call 911 or the operator to get local Sheriff's Department (we also dispatch the troopers). Passerbys frequently call in also.

'Course, being in a rural county, usually a bunch of people have already stopped to help. We're friendly.

I'm not a big fan of people calling 911 unless really needed. Many areas around Texas cities have 311. 311 is for anything does not need Fire/EMS/Police there ASAP.

i never knew about the number on the DL.....thats good to know

randyjoy:
Never TRIED it, but have responded (as a deputy sheriff) to hundreds. But in reality, I have never gotten the call from the state - usually people call 911 or the operator to get local Sheriff's Department (we also dispatch the troopers). Passerbys frequently call in also.

'Course, being in a rural county, usually a bunch of people have already stopped to help. We're friendly.

Hey Randy... good to find you here on the board... Haven't seen you in a bit - you've got to stop by and see our new shop - should get our CO from the city next week.

Just wondering, since you always have gear with you, and you respond on these 911 calls... Is it ok for us to call 911 if we need a spare mask strap or something? :mrcool:

Hey Larry! I've driven by the new place a few times, wondered when you'd get to open - I'll definately come to see ya!

:54: Since I'm in Wise County, and there's NOWHERE good to dive here, when you called 911 you wouldn't get me. Plus, those other dispatchers would'nt see the importance of diving and the use of 911 - some folks just don't understand priorities. I'd have to drive a bit to bring that emergency mask strap...though to get to dive, I could probably easily be talked into it!

randyjoy:
Hey Larry! I've driven by the new place a few times, wondered when you'd get to open - I'll definately come to see ya!

:54: Since I'm in Wise County, and there's NOWHERE good to dive here, when you called 911 you wouldn't get me. Plus, those other dispatchers would'nt see the importance of diving and the use of 911 - some folks just don't understand priorities. I'd have to drive a bit to bring that emergency mask strap...though to get to dive, I could probably easily be talked into it!

We have to get our parking lot sealed and put down the handicap markings - then we should get our Certificate of Occupancy by Friday this week - Plan on being open to the public there by the next monday... the 15th. But hell, you've got a badge and a gun... just stop by anytime. Joe is in there working every day - so if you pass by before that - drop in and take a look.

And hey... Instead of teaching the pup to sniff for drugs... How about sniffing for the nitrox mix? There's another 911 emergency... Broken O2 analyzer, missing fin, broken mask strap - you guys could put together a state wide task force to help out divers in distress... And if people can't dive - think how that will increase the domestic violence calls.:hurt:

Just an idea..

Back
Top Bottom