Itinerary help for inexperienced OW diver traveling solo: AOW on liveaboard or before? Where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What gear/equipment do you make sure to bring ahead of time? (GoPro, your own mask/snorkel, etc)

Just mask/snorkel (& GoPro) will be fine, you can hire the rest. Or you could just rent everything if you want to save on packing space if you don't mind rental masks :)

Last edited:
Don't be to concerned about missing the good stuff in the area of Thailand you will be in. You indicated that a significant portion of your diving had been in Utila. There is much more to see off the west coast of Thailand than what you probably saw diving off Utila (except for the large number of whale sharks and dolphins in Utila). I'm basing this on the month I spent in Thailand versus the two months I spent in Utila. Also, don't put too much emphasis on "diving Richelieu Rock." I have dove it four times. Two times it was a superlative dive and one time it was just a good dive. However, one dive was ranked near the bottom of my dive list due to poor visibility and the extremely large number of divers on the site. This is simply the nature of diving and the changing seas, even with an exceptionally good dive site like Richelieu Rock. You are going to have a great time with many great dives.

I was offered a decent discount through Wicked to do a 6-Day Richlieau/Similan combination with the AOW on board if I wanted to upgrade from the 3-day. It seems like a great opportunity and great diving, at a good price. The Seadragon schedule seemed better (4 day) but I like what I've read about Wicked.

However...the Richelieu portion is first. Similan second. Is Richileau an inadvisable for a place to begin my AOW? I explained to them that I was not experienced. I'm told they're very safety-first, trustworthy, no peer-pressure, so that makes me think it's doable.

If it's too challenging though, or I wouldn't be skilled enough to see the good stuff, should probably cut it down to a 3-day and warm up somewhere else.
"Is Richileau an inadvisable for a place to begin my AOW? "
Yes, it is due to visibility and currents. Similans would be much better.

Don't be to concerned about missing the good stuff in the area of Thailand you will be in. You indicated that a significant portion of your diving had been in Utila. There is much more to see off the west coast of Thailand than what you probably saw diving off Utila (except for the large number of whale sharks and dolphins in Utila). I'm basing this on the month I spent in Thailand versus the two months I spent in Utila. Also, don't put too much emphasis on "diving Richelieu Rock." I have dove it four times. Two times it was a superlative dive and one time it was just a good dive. However, one dive was ranked near the bottom of my dive list due to poor visibility and the extremely large number of divers on the site. This is simply the nature of diving and the changing seas, even with an exceptionally good dive site like Richelieu Rock. You are going to have a great time with many great dives.

Thanks, I needed this feedback. There's so much to choose from and so much info about what is "best," what's overrated, etc, I was afraid I'd be missing out by not going to specific sites.

I didn't even see any whale sharks or dolphins in Utila, so I'm sure it will all be an improvement. Though I really enjoyed Utila.

In your opinion, would it be a waste of time to dive in Koh Tao for a course and then go to the west coast for a liveaboard? (It sounds very nice there but I'd probably lose a day in travel.) Or should I head straight to the west coast and stick to diving on that side?

Nice! So have you decided what you're doing?

Have an amazing time :)

Haven't decided. (I am a horrible decision maker and traveling alone, which I have never done for more than a few days, puts it all on me, hence this thread.) But current options are:
1) 4 day similan/richlieau with AOW with Sea Dragon
2) Bangkok to Koh Tao, AOW in Koh Tao, 1 day in transit then 3 day liveaboard in Similans with Wicked
3) 3 day similan liveaboard with Wicked and include AOW course
4) AOW on the west coast (Koh Lanta? Phi Phi? Don't know) then 3 day similan liveaboard with Wicked

As you can see I really narrowed things down (/sarcasm). But this board has been very helpful, i can't thank you enough

Haven't decided. (I am a horrible decision maker and traveling alone, which I have never done for more than a few days, puts it all on me, hence this thread.) But current options are:
1) 4 day similan/richlieau with AOW with Sea Dragon
2) Bangkok to Koh Tao, AOW in Koh Tao, 1 day in transit then 3 day liveaboard in Similans with Wicked
3) 3 day similan liveaboard with Wicked and include AOW course
4) AOW on the west coast (Koh Lanta? Phi Phi? Don't know) then 3 day similan liveaboard with Wicked

As you can see I really narrowed things down (/sarcasm). But this board has been very helpful, i can't thank you enough

Good luck whatever you choose, I am off to Khao L next week and live aboard with blue0two for their 4 day trip. They may have some last minute deals, great company but UK based !! Have fun tho

Back
Top Bottom