It must be the season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffhamm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
My wife and I are heading to Maui on 5-7 through the 14th..

Gonna do a bike/sunrise tour of the volcano early in our trip... (the 8th) So we dont have to worry about ruining any diving..

We plan on bringing most of our gear, will need to rent tanks and at least a wetsuit for her. I will bring a shorty, that I hope will be warm enough for me. (I am pretty tolerant to temp and hate wearing more than I have to! )

We will be staying in Keawakapu/Kehei who is the current recommended supplier for rental gear? I know this has been asked before, but reading old posts, everything seems to go through cycles.... good today.... maybe not tomorrow. SHould I plan most operator guided trips out of Kehei or make the drive to Lahaina.

We will probably try to do mostly shore dives/ unguided to maximize our dive/budget ratio.

My wife is a new diver (about 10 dives) so I'm not sure how many dives she'll be up for/ or our budget will support.

Any suggestions for must-do dining spots.. Insider tips for cheap eats etc..

Thanks,
Jeff

B&B and Maui Dreams (a bit closer to Keawakapu) are good shops to get rental gear, and also rental tanks.

You'll be right next to the Kihei boat ramp, which is the best place to catch a boat out to Molokini. B&B usually has several DMs and instructors onboard, and can give your inexperienced wife any extra attention and assistance that she might need.

In the unlikely event that you get tired of Molokini, you might consider driving over to Lahaina and using Extended Horizons for a trip to Lanai.

The 5 Palms restaurant, in the Mana Kai condo is an excellent restaurant which will probably be walking distance. On the expensive side, but very good.

Thanks !!

I would totally recommend Makena Coast Charters as well... they leave early (7am) from the Kihei boat ramp and provide AWESOME service with NO attitude.

As for rental gear, the most affordable (and also very up-to-date) gear is at Maui Dreams. Tanks are $5, $4 if you rent 10 or more during your stay. If (for some reason) you needed a full set of gear, it's $20/day including a tank... when I checked B&B's prices a couple months ago, they were nearly double.

I second Maui Dreams. I rent tanks and weights from them every year and I've always had good service and they are very nice people.

Thanks for all the help....

We'll be there tonight, Haleakela in the morning, and hopefully get wet by afternoon!!!

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom