It looks like a grouper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DamselDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Over the holiday, I have been going through old pictures and I ran across this one. I am pretty sure it is a grouper, but the coloring made me wonder. The picture was taken in the Keys...

grouper_d6_keys_2005.jpg

Is it a grouper, and if so, what kind?

As always, thank you all.
DamselDoc

This is a Nassau Grouper. Typically found in Florida, Bahamas, Caribbean, and the Gulf of Mexico.

Nice Picture.

:fishslap: don't I feel silly. I guess context is everything. I had been editing my black groupers and I saw the different face and just didn't put it together. I have tons of pictures of Nassau groupers, but they are the classic profile (sea fan in the back) kind of shot. It is funny that seeing a fish from a slightly different angle could have such a drastic perceptual effect.

Thank you...

Since the grouper was so easy for everyone (except me), maybe we should move to round 2 :D:laughing:

Here is another one that I found...
Again, the photo was taken in the keys. I would guess that it is some type of basket star, but beyond that I just don't know.

ps sorry, I have to use a thumbnail, I am having some trouble uploading to the photo gallery.

Attachments

• unidentified 2 keys 606.jpg
    unidentified 2 keys 606.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 131
The grouper in the first shot could also be a red, but it's either a red or nassau, no doubt.

2nd the basket star for photo #2.

Rachel

Yes, the dive was during the day. Follow up question, I have photographed other basket stars in branching corals (as shown in the thumbnail). I notice that the color and locations seem very different (in the branches vs in a crevice). Are these two different types (species) or does it just represent the variety among the same species? (I am using "species" as the lay-term not the technical...)

Attachments

• giant basket star 1 cayman 2005.jpg
    giant basket star 1 cayman 2005.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 132
wreckchick:
The grouper in the first shot could also be a red, but it's either a red or nassau, no doubt.

Reds and Nassaus are often confused because they do look alike. In this case, I'm sure it is a Nassau, the dorsal and caudal fins don't match a Red's. A Red's marking are rarely that well defined.

I'll second the ID of Epinephelus striatus Nassau Grouper. No chance that it is a Epinephelus morio Red Grouper. Reds do not have the body bars running down the entire length, typically just an eye bar some patchy dark areas and white spots on the body

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom